PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My lavender looks like this.......

Options
lavender7wv.jpg

Is now the right time to cut it? What shall I do with SO much lavender??!!!! :eek:

Help me, help me, help me please!!!!

BTW please ignore the dead plant in the pot in front of it!!!
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...:D

Comments

• Wally_2
    Wally_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I would cut it right now. y10.gif
    I think outside the box - I can also think round corners. :p
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lots of lavender sachets! Use up all those oddments/remnants if you have them and make little bags and fill them with the lavender and tie with ribbon, lovely in your undies draw and airing cupboard. Check you are not allergic first though! I have seen a recipe for biscuits with lavender somewhere (will have to go on a search) if you would like it.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • waterlilyann
    waterlilyann Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Can you tell I'm not green-fingered.....!!!
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch...:D
  • Wally_2
    Wally_2 Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Can you tell I'm not green-fingered.....!!!
    If you cut it now you'll get a nice tan. y1.gif
    I think outside the box - I can also think round corners. :p
  • erewyn
    erewyn Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    You are so lucky all that lavender! I didnt know I had to cut back once it had flowered (last summer), and so my little lavie is not doing too well this year, there are a lot of dried up stems at the bottom, and only small amounts of green shoots, no flowers this year so far. Do you know when I need to cut it to get it back to normal? Wait till spring?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #775!!! :j
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    WOW that is one big lavender plant!I usually trim my in early spring. WE have a LAvender hedge along the drive , but even a tough mediterranean plant struggles with the lack of soil there!
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Oh it's a shame you're up there!! I would have had some lavender from you!! :p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd cut it now, you might even get a second flowering from it :) At the end of the year remove all dead flowers and early spring would give it a good trim with the shears which wil encourage bushing and new shoots :) Lucky you! Wish I had a lavender plant like that!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • GardenMillie
    GardenMillie Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, I would cut it back now and you might get a second flowering. I always cut mine hard back in autumn and it seems to come up lovely again the next year.

Treat em mean - keep em keen (why doesn't it work with men?):rolleyes:

P.S. Dry the lavendar and put in sachets made of felt with a ribbon on, you can hang them in wardrobes or on door handles, also makes a good present.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to dry it to make lavender sachets. Put the flowerheads still on the stalks in a paper bag, tie the top and hang upside down to dry out.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport