New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Backdated Ground Rent

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
54 replies 27.2K views
Liz69Liz69 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz

Replies

• edited 21 January 2010 at 9:14PM
    G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2010 at 9:14PM
    Check who owns the freehold at the Land Registry. Do NOT purchase the leasehold details for the property, you need the freehold. Cost is just £4.00

Come back and let us know how you get on.
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
  • DVardysShadowDVardysShadow
    18.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be writing to ask that they prove that they own the freehold and suggest that they provide the landreg info.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • clutton_2clutton_2 Forumite
    11.1K posts
    it is legal to claim up to 6 years back ground rent.. however... companies who buy these often ask for £100+VAT for admin fees, when the original lease of the property specifies rent at £1.2s.6d per year - or whatever... read your original lease before paying a penny, and do get proof that they are the new freeholders - get them to prove it to you - solicitors letter would do it
  • blckbrdblckbrd Forumite
    454 posts
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?
    Opinion, advice and information are different things. Don't be surprised if you receive all 3 in response. :D
  • blckbrd wrote: »
    The limitation is 6 years from the last time that you admitted the debt or your last payment.

If you've not spoken to anyone or made payment since you bought how does that tally with the date of the 2004 demand or the 1st year if I've managed not to subtract properly?

Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I may be a bit dumb here. Just to outline my letter. Rent due on 1 May 2009 Plus 6 years arrears of rent. Morgoed Estates Limited aquired the portfolio of ground rents (apparently) in 2002/2003.They say that due to loss of some deeds there was a delay before they were able to register at the Land Registry.

This is the first time anybody has contacted me since I purchased the property 15 years ago.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Liz69 wrote: »
    Hi.

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and ask them to provide evidence. Do you know if the onus is on them to provide evidence or up to me to disprove it ie I have to contact Land Registry?

Liz

If it were me I'd do both. I'd trust info I got myself form the LandReg 100% whereas provided by them max 90% (if it's a scam, not hard to produce a 'document').
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    11.1K posts
    have you got your lease ? if not check with the solicitor who acted for oyu when you bought it ...
  • Liz69 wrote: »
    Hello.

15 years ago I bought my property as leasehold. My solicitor was unable to find out who I needed to pay the ground rent to.

This week I have received notice from Morgoed Estates (who do exist on Companies House) requesting this years rent and six years backdated rent. I do not mind paying this if it is genuine, but I assume everybody is trying it on! Does anybody know if this company, who say they purchased the portfolio of rents in 2002 from the previous owner, can do this.

Thank you. Liz

Dear Liz69,

Please feel free to check out our title at the Land Registry. Visit their website and click on the "Find a Property" link.

Should you have any problems, please email us through the contact pages at our website - morgoedestates.com, and we will send you our title number which you can use to access the correct Land Registry entry.

Kind regards,

Morgoed Estates
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deal with your freeholder in writing by recorded delivery, you may need a paper trail.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    11.1K posts
    Morgoed- why should any of your tenants have to incur expense for them to prove that you have an entitlement to claim money from them - it is up to you - sent them a copy of your solicitors purtchase completion or some such official letter to prove your entitlement.....

In any case - what are you doing addressing someone on a public forum... you should be provided properly authenticated names and addresses by letter to your tenant......

NOT a very professional way to start off a business relationship......
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support