Leaking radiator valve.

Options
I'm in need of a little bit of help!! I'm sure my landladys plumbers are simply ripping her off. My loo was leaking down the back of the pan and I suspected it to be the flush valve, they put in a new fill valve even though it wasn't going over the overflow pipe and I had told them that. I kind of thought that they must know more than me!
My boiler packed up and after taking the front off and having a 3 min look it was decided a new one is in order. The loo had been better since they put on a new valve but when they fitted the boiler the guy said something about adjusting the loo to stop the hammer pipe, that I had never noticed before. 2 days later I certainly started hearing the pipes hammer!!! I got them back and he stopped the pipes hammering so much and attempted to stop the leak again...... 2 flushes after he'd left and the loo was leaking again, he said that the siphon would need to be changed.
I had asked them to look at a radiator valve and he said he'd tightened it up and get in touch if it hadn't stopped leaking after the weekend as they sometimes seal themselves????
Well with the hump I took the flush valve down to the plumbing shop got a new one...... and I now have a working non leaking loo. It was plainly obvious what it was, the new flapper was flat and the old one was completely warped, I suspect that they may have just been trying to re-shape it etc!!
He said that the radiator will need draining down and a new valve fitted but I have a feeling that it may be just be the gland nut needing repacking.
I've had a look around on the net and I think, I sort of know what I'm doing, (I sound confident, lol) but now I'm having a wobble and wondering how much damage I really could cause with some PTFE tape and a spanner! The way I see it is, apart from a lot of water everywhere the worst that could happen is that a new valve will need to be fitted....... is that a correct assumption?? Any tips gratefully received!!!! :D

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    From what part of the valve is it leaking? Can you post (or link to ) a pic?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • chrissyfp1
    Options
    SDC10652arrow.jpg

Many thanks for your reply.............. it is definately coming from around that top nut area. I assume that is the gland nut???? :o:)
  • chrissyfp1
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Do you think a bit of hair stimulation treatment will work on the gland? :)
  • keystone
    Options
    Not being funny but have you tried tightening the valve into the body a bit - carefully?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • chrissyfp1
    Options
    No, not yet. That was what the plumber said he had done. It looks to me that there is a big gap between the two nuts. How carefully is carefully? One turn kind of carefully?? Many thanks :D
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    just nip it up a bit. you sort of get a general feel for it.
    bit at a time. quarter turn at the most. then see what happens to any leak.
    Get some gorm.
  • keystone
    Options
    chrissyfp1 wrote: »
    It looks to me that there is a big gap between the two nuts.
    Ooh err missus! Seriously they don't need to be flush with one another just tight enought to make a seal.
    How carefully is carefully? One turn kind of carefully?? Many thanks :D
    You will tell by the pressure exterted against your spanners. Don't overtighten and unless you want nice black CH water all over your nice cream carpet don't do it the wrong way!. If that doesn't work then you'll be looking at isolating the rad and replacing the valve.

Cheers
  • chrissyfp1
    Options
    I've just tried to tighten it a bit (assuming you meant the top nut!!!) and it was already tight. I did see that the leak is actually coming from the top of the top nut around the spindle rather than in between the two. Something tells me that replacing the valve myself may be a little bit ambitious, lol! :0)
  • keystone
    Options
    chrissyfp1 wrote: »
    I've just tried to tighten it a bit (assuming you meant the top nut!!!) and it was already tight.
    OK.
    I did see that the leak is actually coming from the top of the top nut around the spindle rather than in between the two.
    Mmm. With a valve of this age then I would be thinking about replacing then.
    Something tells me that replacing the valve myself may be a little bit ambitious, lol! :0)
    To be honest yes I think so. Apart from anything else due to its age (it is getting on a bit) you won't get a like for like replacement so there may well be a little pipework to do as well.

Cheers
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    vsi3ac.jpg

this is pretty much the usual standard valve used these days.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport