PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'What I wish I’d known before I bought my first home' Hunt

Options

Comments

• MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eglons wrote: »
    if you are confident in showing people around yourself then use someone like www.housenetwork.co.uk to get you onto Rightmove and act as your agent, you'll save a fortune and probably get a better service overall.
    This thread is about buying, not selling!
  • eglons
    eglons Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    MrGumby wrote: »
    This thread is about buying, not selling!

Sorry... original post deleted, might be worth deleting yours too to avoid confusion
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2010 at 12:40AM
    Options
    I am in the process of looking for my first house so have read through the thread and it seems people are repeating a lot of the same points so rather than do that here are a couple of my tips (even though I haven't bought yet):

1. Go on google earth or google maps and have a look at the property from above and also at properties in the area. You can see into the neighbours gardens - are they well maintained, do they have trampolines, what extensions they have done etc etc.

Also it can give you an idea of what extensions you could do etc.

2. Also get on to the local council site and look to see what planning applications have been done on the property, have they been accepted/rejected etc. Also look what other properties have had done.

3. Also find out what Council tax band the property is so you can accurately budget for it.

4. When you go on your first viewing, take a cam corder if you have one if not take your camera. Then rather than having rose tinted glasses when trying to remember the property after the visit you will be able to actually see it from your photos and videos.

5. The photo's taken by the agent will be taken in such a way as to make the room look bigger than they are so bare that in mind when looking at the brochure. Also when looking at the brochure bare in mind what isn't in there, for example why haven't they included a photo of the bathroom for example? Probably because it is not overly nice.

6. What is the TV aerial like? Is it a new one that will get digital or will you need to pay for a new one? Does the property have a Sky dish if you plan to have Sky this might save you the installation cost if not budget for it.

Hope that helps some people

Then when it is all over have a few :beer:
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but if I'm spending £100,000's on a property, I don't care whether it's got a sky dish or not.

Stuff like that is completely trivial. Location, property type, condition, cost and area are the important things.
  • Arthritic_Toe
    Options
    Remember it will be your money that you're spending to buy the house and you have to pay every penny of your mortgage back. The numbers seem so huge that it just seems like monopoly money. Remember every single grand you borrow is a grand that you wont be able to spend on something else. Estate agents love a first time buyer with a mortgage offer. Don't go to the asking price just because you can.
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    Remember every single grand you borrow is 2 or 3 grand that you wont be able to spend on something else, when you consider interest costs.

Borrow as little as possible and pay it back as quickly as you can.
  • goldengirl28
    Options
    i 3rd that comment.................just because the banks says you can borrow 300k..............doesn't mean you should or have to.

when i was 24, i bought my first house with boyfriend....the bank offered to lend us 80k.............we would have been so skint if we had spent to that value..............we actually borrowed 35k
    2010 challenges
    Saving £8k to add to house deposit - done:D
    8000/10,200 done 28 April (started jan 1 2010)
    Lose 2 stone/ -5/23 to go
    Sell our house and buy another one
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    A sky dish might be trivial but TV reception isn't.
    Knowing what services are available and where they run is important:
    Drains - who owns? Shared? Suitable for extension or an obstacle (a septic tank can actually save you money)
    Water?
    Electric?
    Gas?
    Phone?
    Cable?
    Broadband?
    Rights of way? Easements? Ancient lights? Party wall agreements (All rights over "your" land available to neighbours - eg a sewer pipeline:eek:)
    RESTRICTIVE covenants (stop others doing things; positive covenants, forcing a neighbour to do something by and large don't exist BUT "good fences make good neighbours")
    "Adopted" road/access - where is the boundary? (You might own the road outside!)

Rights that you have: These are mainly communications by foot and car (horse and wagon on old properties). Parking & access to schools,shops, medical, pubs, walks etc.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    A sky dish might be trivial but TV reception isn't.

Very important!! The area where I live has appalling TV reception and nearly every property has a sky dish. Having a sky dish on the property (that isn't being taken by the sellers) means that you are likely to get your TV reception far quicker as SKY don't have to come out to you - they can do lot of it remotely.

Perhaps not "critical" in the grand scheme of house buying but how irritating will it be when you've been heaving furniture and unpacking boxes all day to sit down with your dinner to watch a nice mind-numbing program or somewhere to park the kids to stop them getting under your feet or into a recently emptied box and find that you can't ... and the DVD player is still packed away.
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • k.e.c
    Options
    If like me you love a nice cuppa tea, moving or buying a new house can cause a problem...undrinkable tea!!!
    I moved to my first house nearly 3 years ago and have tried water filters, different tea bags and milk and it just tastes nasty!
    If you do love tea, as if you can make a drink in the house you're veiwing.
    It makes me sad that I can't drink it at home :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport