intergas combi boiler £3800

Options
I have been quoted £3800 plus VAT to take out 30 year old boiler and water tank and replace with this new intergas (28/24) one. I have a one bedroom flat with 6 radiators (all already thermostat controlled). the plumber reckons that power flushing is not needed. I know nothing of this make of boiler - I have another quote with a vallant should I go with that. the plumber made big claims for reliability for the intergas boiler but who know? maybe someone on this board can advise? thanks

Comments

• suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Where are you based? Seems expensive. Friends recently had their back boiler taken out, new Vaillant put in, extra rad and shower fitted for about £1700! From what I can gather on here, Vaillant are excellent........ This is in Cardiff BTW.
  • pelipost
    pelipost Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been quoted £3000 for a vaillant which includes an extra radiator. I am based in london
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Have you had a few different quotes from people that have been recommended?!
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Options
    Get a few more quotes. It sounds like they are taking out the old water tank as well, so not quite a straight swap out.

I've been quoted £1800+VAT for a new boiler plus £600+VAT for the replacement roof vent. The current boiler is 10 years old. :rolleyes:
  • arfurrrr
    arfurrrr Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my mates have been to intergas , i haven`t . they are raving about this boiler . said it build quality is fantastic .

vaillant have had thier problems and since glow worm took them over there service has got worse
    Arf :think:
  • Geselig
    Options
    Hi I may be a little late to this post, nevertheless I would like to add a couple of thoughts.

Before doing this I will declare my interest up front, I work for Intergas, however I will try to keep my points as neutral as possible...

The price of the job quoted does not necessarily reflect the cost of the boiler. An intergas boiler is probably priced on a par with the above quoted Vaillant. This being said when purchasing a new or replacement heating system bottom price should not be the driving factor, the old saying ‘you get what you pay for’ is so often is said when the benefit of hindsight would have been a more useful maxim.

Talking with the trade on a daily basis we often reflect how 20 years ago heating systems were advertised in local papers for £1000-1500. Today you will still find systems at that same price, clearly something has to give… generally it’s the quality of the appliance and associated equipment?

Finally some manufacturers who have in the past been viewed as a quality end product are today viewed with suspicion can often trace back their fall from favour to the time when they had to cross the price/quality ratio. In other words to compete in an increasing me too market, the only weapon is price… it follows that to reduce price they would need to buy cheaper components which in turn affects the quality of the product.

My argument having a declared interest is that Intergas Heating is not a me too product, not sure if I can leave our web site address, so I’ll not on this occasion, so as not to break any board rules. However its not to difficult to have a stab at being a uk based company J
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 8:11PM
    Options
    If your product is a good as arfurrr and my associates have said it is, I feel intergas will be a name for the future
  • Geselig
    Options
    Of Course, but then you'd expect me to say that...

The main components that would cause you a problem the diverter valve, secondary exchanger and air pressure switch are designed out. best thing to do is check out the web site and book yourself on a course at Bromsgrove...
    while it's a combi, it's also unique, hence the statement we're not a me too product :-)
  • M.A.S.H_2
    Options
    just to add it is an extremely impressive boiler... so much so that i got one for my own house.

also must say argi member get around :grin:

Mehran(Andy)
  • leaverheating
    Options
    Cost depends on circumstances of installation, flue position, pipework location.

Do go for intergas, Vailant used to be the b s n e s up to around 10 years ago.....Would like to say more but can t for legal reasons !! Human rights, free speech !!! Yeah right !!

We are heating engineers based accross the North West/ East for around 30 years and are actually thinking of purchasing Intergas boilers in bulk because they are that good and very versatile.

The difference between these boilers are simple but extremely important, especially if its a combi:

No diverter valve, no plate heat exchanger and all the gubbins that go with them.

You have the option of leaving the system open vented which means no filling loop or expansion vessel.

If you ever have work done to your heating system, you can still have hot water - the only combi that is capable of this - genius !!!

The total average cost of these parts is about the actual cost of a boiler plus labour installing them when they go wrong. Intergas boilers don t even have them !!!!

Get our drift, just do it !!! Apologies if you ve already bought a Vailant and good luck >
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure