ASHP's & planning consent

thills
thills Posts: 100 Forumite
edited 23 January at 3:21PM in Heat pumps
Hi all.
Picked up good info here on ASHP's (the good & the bad) & will be going down the ASHP route (hopefully quickly).
Anyone been through the planning process?
Looked at the forms, don't really cater for such things, call to the local planning office highlights their lack understanding.

Thanks

Comments

• arty68
    arty68 Posts: 44 Forumite
    I think very shortly ASHP will be permitted development as long as they are 45DB or less, so if you can wait a couple of months you could save yourself the pleasure of dealing with council.

Failing that you will have to fill in an householder application the best you can and wait 8 weeks for them to look at it. the choice is yours.

Me personally wouldn't bother with the grant or planning permission , but it depends on your house location and if the nieghbours would complain.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Very few people know they require planning permission (even in planning departments) so it's not likely to be an issue. legislation was meant to have been passed by the end of 2009 to exempt them. With the Govt's current green agenda it shouldn't be long now before they are.
  • thills
    Thanks Guys... it's an appartment so can't really ignore the neighbours, it's also a conservation area so the blanket permission would never apply. I have (5 hours work) completed the application, sent my £150 and will hope that every "T" is crossed, I do understand why permission is needed, and even if they are under 45dB, I wouldn't want that nest to my bedroom window; but don't understand the level of detail required, but that's faceless government for you. T
  • planning_officer
    planning_officer Posts: 1,161
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2010 at 11:19PM
    At present, it depends on whether they are 'development' in the first place, as to whether they require planning permission. If it's not overly prominent and not overly large, the chances are it isn't development. However, if one was regarded as development, then it would probably benefit from permitted development rights anyway (not covered by Part 40 of the GPDO (March 2008) - ground and water source heat pumps are, but not air ones), so they would fall to be considered under Classes A or E of Part 1 of the GPDO, which relate to alterations to a dwelling and development within its curtilage. However, flats have no PD rights, so as it's on an apartment, it could require planning permission. Whether it's in a conservation area or not shouldn't make any difference - unless the Council have served an Article 4 Direction removing specific PD rights from the area.
  • thills
    Thanks P O ... yes, its a flat & because it is, I understand why it needs permission. Just wish it was simpler & you didn't have to pay £150 for something that will reduce your energy use & therefore carbon output. T
  • thills
    PS: & to get the £900 grant you must show planning consent.
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I live in a flat also and didnt bother with it, the unit is very quiet and its out of the way of the neighbours and 3 metres away the unit is no louder than a boiler flue.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • thills
    Yes, I think one probably could get away with it. It's made a lot more difficult than it needs to be, but I believe that will change as these systems become more widespread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure