Dead/stuck pixels - what are your experiences?

Options
Hi,
I want to buy a 19" LCD monitor but I'm a bit worried about dead/stuck pixels. I've done a search on this board and seen threads here and here.

I know you can pay extra for a pixel check before you buy. I know there are Class 1 monitors where no dead pixels are allowed and I know I can download a program to check for dead pixels after it has arrived.

Just wanted to know your experiences with
1) paying for a pixel check before you buy. How much did it cost?
2) if you didnt pay for a pixel check and were unhappy with the dead pixels when it arrived, did you complain and manage to get a refund/replacement? I know that a certain number (5?) of dead pixels are allowed on Class 2 monitors. Which retailers, if any, are good when it comes to refunding.
3) are you putting up with dead pixels; are they annoying or can you live with them.

Thanks

Comments

• mjfusent
    mjfusent Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you buy mail order the "distance selling regualtions" mean you can return an item (except for certain personalised things) with 14 days without giving a reason. Some companies seem to get away with charging a "restocking fee" so its best to check their T&C's. I intended to do this when I bought my 19" from Dell, but it had no dead pixels anyway.

HTH
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mjfusent wrote:
    I think if you buy mail order the "distance selling regulations" mean you can return an item (except for certain personalised things) with 14 days without giving a reason.

However you must "take reasonable care of the goods" whilst they are in your possession. The "goods" also includes the packaging, and some companies interpret this as not opening shrink-wrapped or blister packed items and not breaking manufacturers seals on packaging.
    mjfusent wrote:
    Some companies seem to get away with charging a "restocking fee" so its best to check their T&C's.

If you have not "taken reasonable care of the goods" then the retailer cannot refuse a refund, but they can make a charge for the damage that you have caused to the goods (including the packaging).

The DSRs are not intend to allow you to 'try before you buy', but to 'look before you buy'. After all if you ordered a brand new widget from an on line retailer would you be happy to receive one that someone had obviously used for a week, before deciding they didn't like it.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Your not allowed to use the products under the distance selling act mealy to inspect them.

I have had mixed reponsones from tft, a 17" had one dead pixel stuck on red, no problem, a 26" tft hdtv samsung had 23 dead pixels and had a new panel fitted and kids got a 19" widescreen (viewsonic) and no dead pixels at all.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have one dead pixel on a 15" laptop monitor. It's about 2/3 down towards the middle but to be honest I don't notice it in day to day use. It's only when I read a thread like this that I think about it. (In fact can't see it on this page at all)
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Many useful hits if you Google for "lcd dead pixels" .

John
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Options
    Ive bought a load of 17" digimate lcd's for people in the past and only had 1 with a problem it just happened to be the one I bought for my sister I noticed it but she didnt untill I told her about it it isnt really that may it seems to work depending on the colour of the screen at the time.

What can you do? not alot unless you get so many then they are classed as faulty I think its up to 5 on a 17"

The only one that annoys me is my PSP I have 2 dead sub pixles both near the edge but I know they are there I may replace the screen once the warrenty is up.

Paying for a check is a waste of money but if your worried about it then pay for it should a pixle be or become faulty then you can ask for a replacement. as you paid for it not to be faulty.

the more you spend for the screen then I would pay for the check but a cheap screen I wouldnt bother.
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    Paying for a check is a waste of money but if your worried about it then pay for it should a pixle be or become faulty then you can ask for a replacement. as you paid for it not to be faulty.

Err no. A DPC only guarantees that on arrival the product doesn't have any dead pixels. It doesn't guarantee that you'll never get them.

1 4.5 year old LCD - no dead pixels.
    1 18 month old LCD - no dead pixels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family