Dead or Stuck Pixel

Options
heatherw_01
heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
I have had my LCD TV just 2 weeks and noticed a dead pixel.

You can only see it on light colours like white or yellow, and when I look at it closely it looks to be red. You cannot see it on black at all.

Is this a dead pixel or a stuck one?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• llol_slim
    llol_slim Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry .. not an answer, I also have the same a pixel on my laptop .. its blue.

I think this is a stuck pixel?
    Any way to remedy this?
    embarrassed to say I used to work for barclays..sorry
  • isgman
    isgman Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    must be stuck, I would have thought had it been "dead" you would just have a "black dot" where the colour should be,,, but maybe someone knows better
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
  • Lawbag_2
    Lawbag_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    time to take it back - exchange it - sounds like it is faulty
    "See you on the Other Side"
  • llol_slim
    llol_slim Posts: 405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe I should take mine back, but to be honest, all the stuff Ive got on it now, it would be more hassle than putting up with 1 stuck/dead pixel..
    I read somewhere when you turn the screen on, press lightly on the pixel and it will flush the chemicals through, although I DONT like the idea of doing that, and wouldnt recommend it unless it someone else can say it works?
    embarrassed to say I used to work for barclays..sorry
  • heatherw_01
    Options
    isgman wrote:
    must be stuck, I would have thought had it been "dead" you would just have a "black dot" where the colour should be,,, but maybe someone knows better

That's what I thought... I thought if it is dead then it would be black or white.

Lawbag wrote:
    time to take it back - exchange it - sounds like it is faulty

As I bought it from a catalogue, you only have 14 days to return it.

I don't even know whether it is worth swapping it as I know that you can get another that has even more dead pixels.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Keldin
    Keldin Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    It's dead in the sense that it can only produce one colour - red (or black if you count lack of colour). It cannot produce any other basic colours and hence combinations to provide you with your 65 trillion colours or how ever many your manufacturer says you can get on the tv.
    Unfortunately it's a fact of life you will have to live with. LCD screens often have a few dead pixels when bought or develop them fairly soon. You usually don't notice them except for several days after spotting the first one - just like the first scratch on your new car.

K
  • Keldin
    Options
    As I bought it from a catalogue, you only have 14 days to return it.

I don't know of any place that will swap out a lcd screen for dead pixels unless it is above a certain amount. If you want to use the standard 'return for any reason in xx days' option I would say that a single pixel isn't too bad unless your tv has very few pixels to begin with. You may get worse in the next one or a lot of hassle for little gain. I have 2 pc screens that each have 3 dead pixels and my face sits pretty close to them without noticing. My screens are 1280x1024 pixels so it's only 3/1310720 ths of the screen.

K
  • heatherw_01
    Options
    I can only see it when I am close, when you are sat on the couch you cannot see it. I only noticed it when I was cutting my OH's hair.

Do they get worse?
  • Keldin
    Options
    In my experience they are either dead when you get the screen or die soon after if they are going to fail. After a couple of weeks use I'd say you won't have any more and the one you have will stay like that.

K
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    Having had to answer this question before, I've got some lovely figures for all you people. ISO (International Standards Organisation) 13406-2 is the official standard for LCD screens and the amount of dead pixels they may have.
    See tables below for the important (but boring) stuff:

The ISO 13406-2 norm defines 4 classes of screens. The strictest and best one, “class 1”, allows no defects. The worst, “class 4” authorizes up to 549 malfunctions for a 15” screen, and 1344 pixels and faulty sub-pixels on a 20” screen. Fortunately no manufacturers use this class. Almost all manufacturers use class 2 to establish their warranties:

IMG0009731.gif

The norm applied to 15, 17, 19, 20 and 21” screens

Applied to different screen sizes, Class II tolerance authorizes the following number of faulty pixels:

IMG0009732.gif
    By default LCD screens are Class I

If a screen has the ISO 13406-2 certification, but the manufacturer doesn’t indicate the screen class, it’s possible to consider it a Class I screen. Therefore your screen shouldn’t have any dead pixels.

The ISO 13406-2:2001 says that a flat screen should be considered a Class I screen unless another is specified by the manufacturer.
    Lots of useless info there, but also a good guide to what you can expect from your screens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure