Free laptops / internet for those on benefits

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    I'll probably get lambasted for this but hey ho - I do agree these should be for low income 'working' families. If someone is not working, there is always computers available at the job centre when they go to sign on, at the library etc. I see the main reason for them is so that parents can keep in touch with what their kids are doing at school - maybe some parents should try looking in the student planner - correspondence daily from staff when necessary, see what homework is due, if it's completed etc. They are already provided free to every high school student in the country. The supposed reason for providing them isn't valid. Lambaste away...

Because of course, the job centre is where kids can do their homework.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It would make more sense to offer this deal for people working low paid jobs or starting up a new business etc.

Definately tryng to get peoples votes!

Surely this money would be better spent elsewhere?

The idea is simple,most kids in school live in a home where internet access is avaliable,sadly 1 million of them most from pooorer homes dont,so why should they be disadvantaged in their education:confused:
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    GOING OFF-TOPIC

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • April84
    April84 Posts: 241 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya do you have to have kids AND be on jsa to get another laptop and your internet paid?
    Or can you just get it if you get income-based jsa but dont have a kid?

And 2ndly will they actually post you standard laptop,
    or will they give you a few hundred pounds of money which you can use towards buying a laptop of your choice?
  • geoff11
    geoff11 Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    you have to have a child or children.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the AOL news page:
    "We realise that for parents to influence and engage in the education of their children they need rich, varied and easily accessible information on the progress, behaviour and attendance of their children," the PM said.

"That is why we have said that from 2010 all secondary schools - and from 2012 all primary schools - will guarantee reporting online to parents.

"So the mother who's worried about her son struggling with his reading can find out more about how she can help, or the dad who works long hours and can't make a parents' evening can keep in touch with his daughter's progress.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    April84 wrote: »
    Hiya do you have to have kids AND be on jsa to get another laptop and your internet paid?
    Or can you just get it if you get income-based jsa but dont have a kid?

And 2ndly will they actually post you standard laptop,
    or will they give you a few hundred pounds of money which you can use towards buying a laptop of your choice?
    I will refer you to the first post

Section One:
    Are you a parent or guardian responsible for and living with a child…..
    …who is in school years 3 to 9?
    …who attends a state-maintained school in England full time**?
    …who has not already had a computer from a Home Access Grant or similar programme, such as Computers for Pupils?

Section Two:
    Do you receive at least one of the following?
    • Free school meals for your child***
    • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income support
    • Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040
    • Guaranteed Pension Credit (not Savings Credit)
    • Income-based Employment Support Allowance
    • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

p.s they send the qualifying person the laptop, not money!
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Board guide comment

Can I remind you all if you want to discuss the politics please start a new thread in discussion, this board is to point people in the right direction of their entitlements, thanks
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    The idea is simple,most kids in school live in a home where internet access is avaliable,sadly 1 million of them most from pooorer homes dont,so why should they be disadvantaged in their education:confused:

I do agree with you Woodbine, but what about the families that struggle making ends meet due to low paid jobs, high childcare, just over the limit for any top ups etc etc:confused:

Internet is a fairly new concept and yes does make things such as research easier, but whatever happened 10+years ago when hardly any households had a computer let alone internet access???

I have a 15yr old DD and sometimes, I think some HW set, is just the case of googling and printing it out....how does that make their education advantaged? I am 35 and when HW was set, we went to the library and found methods the old fashioned way and I strongly agree that we used to remember things better as we had really researched the info ourselves.

Maybe it's just me:rotfl:...it usually is:D

IMPO

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    From the AOL news page:
    "We realise that for parents to influence and engage in the education of their children they need rich, varied and easily accessible information on the progress, behaviour and attendance of their children," the PM said.

"That is why we have said that from 2010 all secondary schools - and from 2012 all primary schools - will guarantee reporting online to parents.

"So the mother who's worried about her son struggling with his reading can find out more about how she can help, or the dad who works long hours and can't make a parents' evening can keep in touch with his daughter's progress.

How did we ever cope before:D
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business