MSE News: Savings loophole allows under-35s to earn 5%

Comments

• I give up with this account before I even open one!

I tried to apply by phone like it says you can on the internet. I was told I have to apply in branch only and I'd need an appointment. To make an appointment I must home them back within office hours and appointments are only available from 10 til 3. Ummm, so how do people who work (e.g. those under 35 saving for a house) do that then??

Move with the times and let us apply online!
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • I have just spent three days of call centre rigmarole trying to set up an appointment in branch to open this account. I have been cut off, given a fax number instead of a phone number, promised a call back, misinformed, etc. I finally have an appointment for tomorrow. If this account wasn't so good, I wouldn't bother!

For anyone trying to phone Santander to make an appointment with their branch, I recommend this number: 0800 5872758. It is the freephone alternative to their 0845 7654321 number. I found it through the website www.saynoto0870.com, which list cheaper alternatives to premium rate numbers.:money:

I've got an appointment to open this account tomorrow - please wish me luck!!! :)
  • abedegno
    abedegno Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've faced similar challenges to open this account, first I tried my local Alliance and Leicester (where Santander's branch finder advised I go) to be told they're not yet fully integrated and I would need to try an old Abbey or Bradford & Bingley branch.

So I instead tried opening it over the phone, and I was told phone applications are no longer possible and the website needs updating. I would need an appointment in a branch.

So then I tried my local B&B, they had never heard of the account. Having found it on their system there were no details on actually opening one, so I have an appoinment with a mortgage advisor at Abbey - and as I'm writing they have just called me as they've double booked my appointment.

Looks like a result - the old Abbey Branches know how to open this account, so I'm going to head in today at 4:30 to open it...
  • I opened this account around a year ago, without any of the problems that other people seem to be having. I presume that's down to the Abbey being taken over by Santander and alike?! It's been a really good account for me, money comes out of my account every month and I hardly notice it go. The maximum I could put in was £300 a month. But I'm under the impression there is no time limit when the account closes....hopefully!
  • birduk
    birduk Posts: 466 Forumite
    I tried and failed to open this account too! Spent a good half an hour in branch giving over details to be told account was now open- nice. Unfortunately the account details she gave me where for a completely generic account, so my opening deposit was rejected. They also have no knowledge at all of my application. What a waste of time and effort. Forget it!
  • fifaworldcup
    fifaworldcup Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2010 at 3:25PM
    If this wasn't such a good account I think there'd be a good number of people who pass this by on service level alone.
    Yesterday I managed to make an appointment for today...... great I thought.

I put 90 mins on the parking and went for my appointment. After 15 minutes they said that they were running behind and perhaps I had something else to do for 20 minutes. I obliged and came back to wait a few minutes longer.

40 minutes after the supposed appointment I was quite annoyed. More so when the guy told me I needed to set up a standing order for 12 payments. Erm no - It's not a fixed term product. I also had to explain the rate was variable.

He mumbled to himslef opening with a zero balance...so I had to point out you actually need to open with at least £100.

I now have an account. The less time I have to spend in a branch the better I think....
  • After an hour in branch, with no memeber of staff having the clue about this account, I finally managed to open one :j Woooohoooo :j
    khalid wrote: »
    As I have no current account with Santander, I was given a bank account and sort code where I would have to reference my first home saver account number when using a standing order.

Hmmm. I asked for the account number and sort code that I should set my standing order up for. I was told to use the account number on the print out I was given of my new account details. When I pointed out that the sort code needed to be 6 digits long and the account number needed to be 8 digits long he just told me to to take the print out into my current account bank and they would sort it out (yeah, right! :mad:). By this point I was loosing the will to live so I just left and thought I'd ask you guys how to set the SO up!

So all I have is an account number of the format "SAVING K12345678 ABC".

Help! :j What sort code and account number do I use?!

Btw, I asked about viewing the account online and he said I'd get the online details within 7 days. No idea if this will work though as he didn't have a clue (see above!).
  • Thanks to the lovely moneysaver who PMed me the required info. Here it is for anyone else:

Sort code: 09-00-00
    Account number: 00050005
    Ref: Your account number in the format K12345678ABC
  • thepearce
    thepearce Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to the lovely moneysaver who PMed me the required info. Here it is for anyone else:

Sort code: 09-00-00
    Account number: 00050005
    Ref: Your account number in the format K12345678ABC
    I can confirm that's the right sort code & account.

All being well my first regular payment hits tomorrow.
  • I'm actually having problems closing it.

I popped into a branch this afternoon and said i wanted to cancel it, they asked if ive had a mortgage chat with them. i said no then was told the next appointment would be next week. Even telling her i have no interest going through a chat with them as im not going to take out a mortgage, she was being very jobworthy and said im not going to give you the interest until you speak to an abbey staff about it.

so ive had a chat via a call, does this count? he didnt take any details from me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure