We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freecycle thank you's?

Options
I've given quite a lot away on Freecycle over the past couple of years & whilst I know you offer things for no return, today after somebody collected a couple of warm duvets I'd advertised got me to wondering what proportion of takers ever offer a token as thankyou to the donator?

In all the things I've offered I've only ever received two such tokens, one a bunch of flowers to somebody who was having my frost free fridge freezer when I was buying a new integrated one, the other a thank you card from a guy who took my old tv when I bought a new one.

I'd be interested to know other people's experiences as although I've only ever offered on freecycle, never taken, I'm the type of person who would want to offer a small token in return should I be a taker.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Have you ever received a token as thank you from a freecyle collector? 36 votes

Yes many times
5% 2 votes
50-50
5% 2 votes
Seldom
27% 10 votes
Never
61% 22 votes

Comments

• Mummy3Monkeys
    Options
    We have given away a lot over the last few months and we have never even had a follow up thank you email - we have had people not turn up to collect things when we have waited in, people turn up on our doorstep for 1 thing and try and get us to give them other things we have offered and 1 guy ask us how much we thought something would be worth. We have even had someone ask us for something and demand we deliver it, saying they were in a wheelchair and couldn't collect it so we had a moral obligation to deliver it to them!!!

My husband and I don't use it now - unfortunately we take it to the dump after the amount of people who have quite frankly taken the mickey out of us :mad:
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    I give things on freecycle because it saves things from adding to landfill and it helps out someone who might need it or someone who can be bothered to go and car boot it for a few quid (I can't!).

I've had some nice emails from people but TBH I give to get rid of stuff and I don't really expect anything else (at all) in return.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think if I were to collect something big (sofa, fridgefreezer) then I might take a token gift for the freecycler. I don't know. I've only ever offered & received small things, and buying even a small gift would negate part of the purpose of freecycling in my eyes.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I rarely even get thank you e-mails, but if I collect something, I always thank the person when I pick it up, and again in an e-mail.

I did take a bottle of wine to someone who found a car stereo for me when mine was kaput - but that was because it was something worth quite a bit, and they could have sold it instead of giving it to me. Usually though, I just say thank you....!!
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tiger, for an expensive item, I may give them a gift or let them know of the items Ive got for free(and bump them up my priority list of those that contact me)
    If its a low value item, id say thank you. Currently looking for a CRT telly though!

I normally only have packaging to give away, but we might have some toys to give away and one broken Pc, and some other stuff. Just need to list the damn things lol.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When collecting from Freecycle I take surplus garden produce, like tomatoes or runner beans as a token.
  • 415SanFran
    Options
    I ended up going to the same house three times, on the last visit I took her some home made jam.

I have had nice emails, and once a card that was drawn by a small child, that was very touching.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you count an email saying thank you as a token? I've had one from most people I've given things to and don't see why everyone doesn't automatically do this. It's only being polite!

I've never had anything else and wouldn't want gifts. The essence of Freegle is that stuff is free. If people start giving presents it won't be long before some givers will want to know who is going to give the best present.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do you count an email saying thank you as a token? QUOTE]

YesI do Mojisola. Apart fromt the thank you card & bunch of flowers mentioned in my original post, I've only ever had one thank you email in all the items I've given away & this is what saddens me.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do you count an email saying thank you as a token? QUOTE]

YesI do Mojisola. Apart fromt the thank you card & bunch of flowers mentioned in my original post, I've only ever had one thank you email in all the items I've given away & this is what saddens me.

I voted in the wrong section then!

It would sadden me, too, if no-one sent a thank you email. Does it mention it in the group's rules? Ours does say stuff about being nice to people and saying thank you - not that people should need to be told!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport