would she/they be entitled?

Options
Good morning,

i thought i'd do this post to get some advice for my inlaws and to see if they'd be entitled to any disability benefits or blue badge scheme.

My lovely MIL who's in her early 70's has recently had a pacemaker fitted after a scare last year but she has also had both knees replaced one of which has her in terrible pain. she struggles with stairs (they live in bungelow) cannot stand for periods longer than 10mins or so, cannot bend her knee properly, has trouble walking long distances or it can take her a while if she has to. needs help getting in and out of the bath and some parts of getting dressed (socks,tights,knickers). she will often use her walking stick. when they go shopping or visiting people My FIL has to drop her at the door while he parks the car.
My FIL does virtually all the housework luckly he's still very fit and active and probably puts a lot of us to shame for his age. so it's him that does everything for her from assisting her in and out the bath, car, up and down any stairs, getting her dressed.
i personally think they'd be entitled to something however they don't think the same, they think they have too much money coming in or are a nuisance and don't want to be a burden to anyone. they are very proud and have never claimed for anything before. where as i just want them to get what they're entitled to if anything.
they couldn't live without a car as they live a few miles from shops and doctors and there is no way she'd be able to walk to the nearest bus stop or even get on the bus itself.

any advice will be very much appreciated.

many many thanx in advance x

Comments

• geoff11
    geoff11 Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    well its all down to the dla medical doctors assesment to be honesst, but from her mobilty problems yes she should be entitled to higher rate mobility award and she has care needs so she she be entitled to one of the care rates, if she gets the higher rate mobility awarded shes entitled to a new car every three years as well. when she applies for dla they will ask her gp or consultant for a medical report on her problems, they will always send their own doctor to do a home medical regardless, once hes been hell submit a report it then goes to a decision maker. they then decide if shes entitled to mobility or care or both and write to you to explain the decision, if your not happy you have 28 days to appeal the decision which may then go to a tribunal. from what i read i seriously suggest that she applies for dla though and get the help she obviously needs.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    geoff11 wrote: »
    well its all down to the dla medical doctors assesment to be honesst, but from her mobilty problems yes she should be entitled to higher rate mobility award and she has care needs so she she be entitled to one of the care rates, if she gets the higher rate mobility awarded shes entitled to a new car every three years as well. when she applies for dla they will ask her gp or consultant for a medical report on her problems, they will always send their own doctor to do a home medical regardless, once hes been hell submit a report it then goes to a decision maker. they then decide if shes entitled to mobility or care or both and write to you to explain the decision, if your not happy you have 28 days to appeal the decision which may then go to a tribunal. from what i read i seriously suggest that she applies for dla though and get the help she obviously needs.

People over 65 aren't entitled to dla. She might be entitled to attedanvce allowance (aa) if she has care needs. There's no mobility component in aa. They don't always do medicals - I've enver had one.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • geoff11
    Options
    my mother in law is 82 and she gets dla.
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    geoff11 wrote: »
    my mother in law is 82 and she gets dla.

If she had it before she was 65 it would carry on. If they apply once over 65 they get Attendence Allowance.

And I agree they don't always do medicals.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • geoff11
    Options
    ok i stand corrected on the medicals, i can only go on my own experience of course but thats what i like about this forum theres always good advice offered and sometimes if we are slightly wrong someone can correct it. i think the mom in law was 65 when i think back.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't need DLA or equivalent to get a blue badge (though some councils will tell you you do) If you can get your Dr or other health professional to support the need for one she should be able to get one.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cyberbob wrote: »
    You don't need DLA or equivalent to get a blue badge (though some councils will tell you you do) If you can get your Dr or other health professional to support the need for one she should be able to get one.
    I second that, I am fairly sure my parents got Blue Badges before they applied for Attendance Allowance, and it's been very helpful!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Homemade_2
    Homemade_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    cyberbob wrote: »
    Blue Badges are going through a massive crack down and currently are only being given out automatically to those who recieve higher rate mobility DLA.
    Others can apply but it is extremley doubtful that a badge will be given as the coucils tend to rely on the fact that if a person has HRM, then all the medical criteria is met and they dont need to do anything else.

Even if your doctor writes that you could do with one does not qualify you anymore.
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Homemade wrote: »
    Blue Badges are going through a massive crack down and currently are only being given out automatically to those who recieve higher rate mobility DLA.
    Others can apply but it is extremley doubtful that a badge will be given as the coucils tend to rely on the fact that if a person has HRM, then all the medical criteria is met and they dont need to do anything else.

Even if your doctor writes that you could do with one does not qualify you anymore.

It's not automatic qualification - but you can still get one in certain areas with supporting medical evidence. I don't get DLA (I'm in the process of applying), but do have a Blue Badge.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Homemade_2
    Homemade_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    It's not automatic qualification - but you can still get one in certain areas with supporting medical evidence. I don't get DLA (I'm in the process of applying), but do have a Blue Badge.
    I dont want to sound daft but I dont understand what you are saying in your post?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure