in Motoring
40 replies 5.6K views
124»

Replies

• blizeHblizeH Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for bumping an old thread (found this on Google!) and for a silly question, but...

Normally when I go to London I'll pay the £7.50 or whatever and get a little card and just use the tube everywhere. If I got an Oyster card, it charges for single journeys right? But does it cap at £7.50 or should I sometimes need to add things up and consider paying the £7.50 flat charge anyway?

Also, is stuff like buses and overground included in that £7.50? Longshot.
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blizeH wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping an old thread (found this on Google!) and for a silly question, but...

Normally when I go to London I'll pay the £7.50 or whatever and get a little card and just use the tube everywhere. If I got an Oyster card, it charges for single journeys right? But does it cap at £7.50 or should I sometimes need to add things up and consider paying the £7.50 flat charge anyway?

Also, is stuff like buses and overground included in that £7.50? Longshot.
    Oyster explained.
  • blizeHblizeH Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oyster automatically works out the cheapest fare for all your journeys so you'll never pay more than the price of a Day Travelcard.
    Perfect! Thank you.
  • adindasadindas Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear All
    I will need a daily commute travel (except weekend) from Woolwich Dockyard (Zone 3) to Elephant and Castle (Zone 1) for at least three month (possible 6 months).

From the following Tube and Rail Network
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-dlr-trams-and-train-travelcard-zones-map.pdf
    I have seen that there is a South-eastern Train Service from Woolwich Dockyard (Zone 3) to London Bridge and then Northern Line Tube to Elephant and Castle.

I am thinking of Buying Zone 1-3 monthly Travel Cards (in Oyster Card). According to this website
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
    It will cost me £123.70 per month.

I am looking for advice how I could reduce the cost of this daily commuting? Further info. I am not eligible for Young Rail Card.

It seems that in this forum there is not many discussion regarding London local transport. Is there any other discussion forum available ?

Thank you for your advice
    19.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    adindas wrote: »
    Dear All
    I will need a daily commute travel (except weekend) from Woolwich Dockyard (Zone 3) to Elephant and Castle (Zone 1) for at least three month (possible 6 months).

From the following Tube and Rail Network
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-dlr-trams-and-train-travelcard-zones-map.pdf
    I have seen that there is a South-eastern Train Service from Woolwich Dockyard (Zone 3) to London Bridge and then Northern Line Tube to Elephant and Castle.

I am thinking of Buying Zone 1-3 monthly Travel Cards (in Oyster Card). According to this website
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx
    It will cost me £123.70 per month.

I am looking for advice how I could reduce the cost of this daily commuting? Further info. I am not eligible for Young Rail Card.

It seems that in this forum there is not many discussion regarding London local transport. Is there any other discussion forum available ?

Thank you for your advice
    A monthly season ticket from Woolwich Dockyard to Elephant & Castle can be had for £56.90.

As you can imagine, there are some restrictions at that price.
    You cannot use London Underground trains.
    You must travel via Nunhead (probably need to change trains there too).
    The journey will take a little longer than your proposed route.

Information from the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket Calculator.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 53 bus with an Oyster card will be the cheapest if rather slow way of doing it - no changes, £1.30 a journey.
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear wealdroam

I have just check it, yes indeed it is very uncomfortbale route and I can not take the services to London Bridge where there is frequent train.

I just happne to know this website. Thank you for your time ...
    wealdroam wrote: »
    A monthly season ticket from Woolwich Dockyard to Elephant & Castle can be had for £56.90.

As you can imagine, there are some restrictions at that price.
    You cannot use London Underground trains.
    You must travel via Nunhead (probably need to change trains there too).
    The journey will take a little longer than your proposed route.

Information from the National Rail Enquiries Season Ticket Calculator.
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear dzug1

Thank you for answering my queries. I have tried previously and it takes me more than 1 hour to get to Elephant and Castle. But I agree it might work.

If there no more other solution so probably I just need to take the Monthly Travel Card on Oyster Card.

dzug1 wrote: »
    The 53 bus with an Oyster card will be the cheapest if rather slow way of doing it - no changes, £1.30 a journey.
  • Dr_Cuckoo3Dr_Cuckoo3 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    adindas wrote: »
    Dear wealdroam

I have just check it, yes indeed it is very uncomfortbale route and I can not take the services to London Bridge where there is frequent train.

I just happne to know this website. Thank you for your time ...

31 minutes minimum via London Bridge

47 minutes minimum via Nunhead
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    19.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Cuckoo3 wrote: »
    31 minutes minimum via London Bridge

47 minutes minimum via Nunhead
    Yes, it takes longer via Nunhead.

But the money saving is significant...
    £56.90 per month via Nunhead
    £123.70 per month via London Bridge.

That's a saving of £66.80 per month... around 55%.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES