MSE News: Save on London train travel with Oyster

in Motoring
40 replies 5.6K views

Replies

• sjb92sjb92 Forumite
    58 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but why is London transport so expensive? Every other major city I've been to has had metro systems that cost half or less of the cost of a trip on the London Underground.

As well as dzug1's accurate reply - I'm always surprised that bus fares are so much more out of London (e.g. Brighton & Hove - £1.50) compared with London.
  • becky_rtwbecky_rtw Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bus is a saving grace for me £1 (or £1.20 now) to go from Pimlico to Hampstead Heath = bargin!

And the network is fab - you can get virtually anywhere at any time of day or night - its great :)
    No. 48 Save 12k in 2021 Thread: Target 25k
    Progress £24,725/£25,000
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Forumite
    240 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    No more 50p reduction on Oyster daily cap compared to corresponding travelcard price then? That's a shame.
  • So, is the consensus that this is a good or bad thing? Or a good thing for a few but bad for many? It certainly seems very confusing and doesn't actually help if people end up buying paper travelcards anyway!
  • My son has a 16+ oyster card which entitles him to half price travel. However, the overground routes that did not accept PAYG oyster before January 2010 will charge him full fare - " for the entire journey". So I don't know if he mixes and matches with tube whether he is going to have to pay full fare for the tube part as well . Can anyone enlighten me?
    I am disappointed that the introduction of the overground to PAYG Oyster is actually going to cost him twice as much - hopefully he can buy a half price one day travel card still.
  • nigemnigem Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Last week during the snow I used my oyster card at Victoria station to touch in for a train journey. After 10 mins a guard said there wasnt a driver and so I touched out again. I have been trying on their 0845 number to get a refund, and its always busy. It has cost loads in trying to get to speak to someone. I can't find an alternative that works now. As I dont often go to London I have not set up my card to add money and so cant be refunded directly. I am not happy with this service. Anyone any suggestions? :mad:
  • olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nigem wrote: »
    Last week during the snow I used my oyster card at Victoria station to touch in for a train journey. After 10 mins a guard said there wasnt a driver and so I touched out again. I have been trying on their 0845 number to get a refund, and its always busy. It has cost loads in trying to get to speak to someone. I can't find an alternative that works now. As I dont often go to London I have not set up my card to add money and so cant be refunded directly. I am not happy with this service. Anyone any suggestions? :mad:

They only have the 0845 number.

If they find your query difficult the operators will pretend they can't hear you and put the phone down on you.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link and put a complaint in: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/foi/893.aspx about their level of service.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • nigemnigem Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I have sent my complaint and await their reply.
  • We've had terrible trouble with Oyster on our Overground line, e.g., problems with being charged maximum fares for touching-in, then finding there were no trains unexpectedly. Oyster online Oyster complaints form does not have the Overground stations listed, helpline takes forever to get through to (I've not succeeded yet and some of the problems were in December...).
    You have to rush to touch-in your Oystercard within 10 minutes of leaving the tube (and vice-versa) to get the through ticket fare. Can be awkward at times, especially if you don't know which platform to go to or happen to be thirsty or need to go to the loo!!!!:(
    I've also been overcharged for normal tube journeys inexplicably (not in rush hour, and I had checked the fares)
    Also, I tried 3 times today to top-up my Oyster card at 3 different machines at a mainline station; having typed in my PIN for my debit card, it said that the Oyster Card could not have the money transferred, but I'd not be charged. Looking at my bank statement, I think I have been charged ( £30 for £10 credit!!!). No option for that on Oyster helpline, either- think I'll have to e-mail customer services......
  • AirlieBirdAirlieBird Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    wiserowl wrote: »
    We've had terrible trouble with Oyster on our Overground line, e.g., problems with being charged maximum fares for touching-in
    That's not a problem. It's how Oyster works.
    You have to rush to touch-in your Oystercard within 10 minutes of leaving the tube (and vice-versa) to get the through ticket fare. Can be awkward at times, especially if you don't know which platform to go to or happen to be thirsty or need to go to the loo!!!!:(
    The only interchange that has a 10 minute time limit is Waterloo East to Southwark. As you say you use Overground and as Overground doesn't go anywhere near Waterloo East you can't be using this interchange. The time limit for touching out and back in again to count as one journey varies depending on the stations you are changing between and the direction you are travelling.

For example the time limit for interchanging from Cannon Street LU to Cannon Street NR is 40 minutes, but 20 minutes from Cannon Street NR to Cannon Street LU.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES