'Should married couples get a tax break?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• mrsmcdade
    mrsmcdade Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    YES - Purely for the reason that your joint income is taken into consideration when calculating benefits, tax credits, etc.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 January 2010 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Thanks Robin - Whilst I know that the system allows them to get Child Benefit, I was wondering what the Government's thinking is behind giving it to them. Also, I can confirm that they get CTC. It may be slightly less than 150K pa joint income, but definately 3-figures.

As to your first point, as a person living alone, having a child would mean sacrificing personal freedoms, for which I would end up resenting the child. This would affect my parenting skills and ultimately affect the child. Whilst this does not guarantee how the child will turn out, I have no desire to do that to anyone. But considering I won't be living on benefits to raise a child for several years, how come I am not being rewarded by the system?
    CTC stops at around £58K (higher if you have a child under 12 months around £66k). From £50K onwards it reduces from the 'family element' of around £10 per week to nothing as it hits these amounts. If these people are getting CTC on a 3 figure salary then either they are being paid incorrectly, and will be asked for it back at some point or they are self employed and will be able to legitimately report a reduced taxable income.
  • Spendless
    Options
    griffo74 wrote: »
    why should you pay less tax when your bringing in 2 incomes? makes no sense to me. I think its a very old fashioned idea and in a way a penalty for being single!
    That was always my gripe when I was single and living alone. My dad's tax code was better than mine but he lived in a 2 income household whereas I didn't.
  • Spendless
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi - there's an interesting discussion on this on my facebook page too...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Lewis/73386220151#/note.php?note_id=241650243864&comments

Though I'd repost a suggestion I'd made there...

"One small note from a personal perspective. I lost my mother just before I was 12 - had this system existed, I suspect that meant that on top of the real horror we were in, this system could be adding a further financial impact - not only did we lose my mothers income but as tradgedy had forced my father into becoming a single parent he would've ... See Morelost the tax break for being married too on top of the family losing my mothers income.

Now I don't believe that we should legislate for the exceptions, but I do think it is important we establish that the 'traditional family' model is quite far from the norm in modern society."
    I've no idea what the rules were when you were a child Martin, but I know when my SIL became a single parent (thru divorce) in the early 90's she was able to claim what was then the married man's allowance, so you could have the extra amount as a single parent.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i find it so unfair for the families that work really really hard and get peanuts back from the government.

As do single people.
    it infuriates me that some couples apparently earning £66k can still claim tax credits, when a single person on £15k cannot!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But that's only if they have kid(s) under 12 months.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    Options
    Stop all tax breaks, pay tax at whatever rate you have to. Why introduce discounts?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • Bobl
    Options
    Absolutly!

Marriage is the best way to rear and support children.

I think you are confusing that with 'a stable relationship is the best way...'

Not all marriages are stable and provide a happy home.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Options
    Bobl wrote: »
    I think you are confusing that with 'a stable relationship is the best way...'

Not all marriages are stable and provide a happy home.

And not everyone in a stable relationship is married.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Bobl
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    And not everyone in a stable relationship is married.

I think that's what I said, or was I too subtle.
  • Dda_2
    Options
    I am a senior income tax officer (albeit not the UK tax but one of the crown dependences) & here we two have to give married allowance.

If people marriage it should be for the correct reasons (i.e. love) and not for income tax reasons, there should not be any tax allowances for getting married (it is also the same for separating & death)

Where I am from giving the married (separating or death all are treated the same) allowance costs the 'Tax Payer' ten's of thousands of pounds that the rest of tax payers have to cover.

There are no extra allowances for being single!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure