We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel Insurance?

Options
I've just booked up to go on holiday at the end of June to Dominican Republic. I'm now looking for travel insurance, i'm 23 and have a heart condition, blackouts and a pacemaker. I'll be travelling to a resort, wont be doing any golfing/mountain climbing etc but may do some water sports, what companies do insurance for people like me that wont penalise me for a pre-existing medical condition?

Comments

• Chocolate80
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think you'll need to pay a higher premium due to your existing conditions. One website I found was allcleartravel.co.uk which says it quotes for anyone including those with pre-existing conditions.

Have fun on your hols!
  • tenacioust123
    tenacioust123 Posts: 276 Forumite
    edited 5 January 2010 at 1:52AM
    Options
    I had a nightmare trying to get travel insurance, I have had back surgery. It cost me a lot, all I can say is shop around and be thruthful because if anything does happen and you hav'nt disclosed everything you will end up without any cover.

By the way I'm very jealous, have a fab time x
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I tried the Post Office when I needed travel insurance for my son, who has complex needs. His list of disabilities is quite long and he is on several medications a day. The PO were very reasonable, but this was a holiday in the UK.

My daughter also used the PO when she went to Turkey last year. She has a non-cancerous bone tumour and although she had to answer some questions by phone, she wasn't charged an additional premium at all - and the original cost of the insurance was very competitive as well.

Enjoy your holiday x
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They all sound a lot more reasonable, the insurance they recommended was going to cost more than the holiday (over £2,000 when the holiday cost £1040). Will try the companies you guys have suggested, i saw on the medic alert website that they do travel insurance for long term medical conditions, has anyone used this service?
  • sandy71
    sandy71 Posts: 898 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if it's any good but there is a list of companies who will insure people with epilepsy so they may cover other conditions as well

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Livingwithepilepsy/Drivingandtravel/Travelinsurance
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member NO. 853 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    alot of insurers will now insure upto 200 pre existing conditions i`m afraid Jen it will be a matter of really shopping around,of course europe would have been easier and cheaper
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    I've managed to get a quote for £110 which is a lot more reasonable but will keep searching
  • speedy2056
    Options
    Hi, I'm a wheelchair user and use Mediquote. http://www.mediquote.com

I have used them around 3 or 4 times for past trips. I suffer from Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus and have been quoted prices around the £50 mark dependent on how long the trip is.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    thanks speedy! will try them out.
  • Homemade_2
    Homemade_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I've just booked up to go on holiday at the end of June to Dominican Republic. I'm now looking for travel insurance, i'm 23 and have a heart condition, blackouts and a pacemaker. I'll be travelling to a resort, wont be doing any golfing/mountain climbing etc but may do some water sports, what companies do insurance for people like me that wont penalise me for a pre-existing medical condition?
    Not many. Premiums may be quite high, especially for the Dom Rep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport