We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ideas for broccoli & cauliflower

24

Comments

  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In a cheese sauce or as a gratin?
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • madtrekker
    madtrekker Posts: 255 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Definitely cauli / broccoli cheese. Yum yum! Goes really well with sausage, mash & onion gravy.
  • Odette
    Odette Posts: 716 Forumite
    Beaten to it several times! Broc and Cauli cheese sounds amazing, can I come for tea ;)
    Aim - BUYING A HOUSE :eek: by November 2013!
    Saved = 100% on 03/07/12 :j
  • I second broccoli / cauliflower and cheese either with or without breadcrumbs on top.

    Cauliflower keema or veg curry (heavy on the broccoli / cauliflower)
  • I've taken to cooking myself cauliflower cheese in the last few month and always feel it's such a waste throwing away the leaves.

    I also like to cook a Japanese-style stir fry which the main ingredient is broccoli, and of course because of this I have quite a bit of the stork leftover. I do tend to cut this up along with broccoli florets though was thinking I could put this to better use in maybe some sort of recipe.

    So I was wondering if any of you knew of any recipes for these kind of leftovers instead of throwing them in the food recycle bin as it still appears a dreadful waste.

    I've heard of a recipe for a smoothy which includes broccoli storks though haven't up till now managed to find anything.

    Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hiya :)

    This thread: Brocolli & Cauliflower

    Says that you can use the cauliflower leaves the same way as cabbage and that they are quite peppery.

    There are some ideas for broccoli stalks too.

    I'll add your query to that thread later.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I didn't know storks were made of broccoli! I though they were meaty!

    (Sorry, couldn't resist....;))

    For broccoli stalks and cabbage leaves though, just shred them up finely and use them as a seperate stir fry ingredient. Or keep the stalks on when making your Japanese dish? Or you could make cream of broccoli soup from broccoli stalks or cut them into discs, steam them and serve as a vegetable. Ditto the cauli leaves...trim out the mid rib, shred, steam and eat.
    Val.
  • I've heard that cauliflower leaves are kind of peppery alright, would be interesting to see how they taste once cooked as well.

    I do also use the broccoli storks cut up finely whenever I cook the stir fry though find florets generaly are more appropriate, one reason why I've the storks leftover. I do prefer to use them as much as I can as I don't like any waste if I can help it.

    Thanks for your input. I'll have a look at the Broccoli & Cauliflower thread at some stage today.

    Thanks again
  • I use pieces of stalk and the inner leaves of a cauliflower (not the large old ones) cut into one inch pieces cooked and put into curry.
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Asda sell a bagged salad called 'ranch salad' that is finely chopped/grated brocolli stalks, red cabbage, carrot and red onion with a creamy garlic and herb (ranch) dressing and some little crispy crouton things. Its delicious. Perhaps you could make your own version of this?

    Also, if we have cauliflower in our house we cook the smaller inner leaves along with the actual cauliflower and eat them with the rest of the meal. they're delicious and we tend to fight over who gets them if there aren't many!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.