We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

ideas for broccoli & cauliflower

124»

Comments

  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Doesn't sound like it's off if it wasn't slimy, mouldy or smelly. Perhaps it just has a much stronger flavour than supermarket broccoli?

    I'm trying to think of ways you could make use of its bitterness, or mask it a bit with other things...

    How about trying broccoli pesto, if you've got a blender? It works well with other bitter greens, so I don't see why not. That way you could add other things to it until it tastes right, and if it still tastes bad, then you've only ruined a sauce, not a whole meal.

    Even found a recipe online for it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pan-fried_gnocchi_with_36887
    I thought it was just me who bunged all sorts of random green things into blenders and called it pesto :)
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Liz_M
    Liz_M Posts: 151 Forumite
    Thanks that actually sounds really nice and definitely something I wouldn't have thought of making! Will probably do it with pasta instead of gnocchi and will either pop to supermarket for parmesan and a chilli or just make it with cheddar and some chilli flakes! Was actually going to buy parmesan yesterday but they didn't have any, not even pecorino or anything... just the shavings or grated but I like to buy a block as I'll grate some for some recipes but shave it for others.

    Didn't even think about the fact that it could just be stronger broccoli either! Makes sense because most of the veg does taste a bit different to supermarket stuff, some of it has a bit of a different flavour but a lot of it has different textures etc. A bit disappointing if I just like the taste of supermarket broccoli better...but I think it's the first thing I've found in the veg box that I wasn't keen on so not the end of the world!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.