We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Computer taken back 3 times within 1 year!

2»

Comments

  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    as a matter of interest what were the faults?

    From memory, on an earlier thread on this Board an undisclosed serious problem, a sticking key and clicking noises on shutdown.
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    bignred05 wrote: »
    do I assume you followed my other thread in this forum then ;);)

    I'm not sure what I was offered, thought they said "Acer" however I think they may have said Asus

    I declined this requesting a either a Dell/Toshiba or another "leading" brand, Thoughts please :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

    A Dell is on a level quality wise with an Acer and Asus in my experience. Out of the 3 I'd go for a Dell customer service wise. A Tosh is on a better level..but I'd be surprised if you got that! I've got a 10 year old Tosh laptop running W98 that's stilll working! Admittedly I only ever get it out every now and again to check it does still work!
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    ...it might be an idea to update your original thread to get other opinions?
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,230
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    A Dell is on a level quality wise with an Acer and Asus in my experience. Out of the 3 I'd go for a Dell customer service wise. A Tosh is on a better level..but I'd be surprised if you got that! I've got a 10 year old Tosh laptop running W98 that's stilll working! Admittedly I only ever get it out every now and again to check it does still work!

    Thanks for the advice & will update other thread as well as advised
  • Comet_company_representative
    Comet_company_representative Posts: 175 Organisation Representative
    easy_tiger wrote: »
    Hi all,

    Just wodnering if you could please give me some advice.

    I purchased an ACER desktop computer last March (2009), it has since been back to Acer 3 times for various breakdown repairs between March and Christmas - 10 months!

    I have been in touch with Acer customer service (very unhelpful) trying to get a refund for the inconvenience and because I have lost faith in the product. They are not being helpful at all.

    Is there any legislation that states that a customer is entitled to a refund or exchange if a product breaks down so many times within its first year?

    It was purchased from Comet and we also got an extended warranty through Comet.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Regards

    Hi easy_tiger

    My name's Phil and I'm from Comet.

    Although we may use third parties to act as our nominated repair agents for their laptops and PCs, as the retailer we should always take ownership of issues such as these.

    Whether we repair or exchange a product depends on a number of factors such as the nature of any fault and the repair history.

    If you would like to e-mail me via the link below with your purchase information and serial number and/or Acer repair reference numbers, I will look into this further for you.

    https://comet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/comet.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

    You will need to register some details with us to be able to send your e-mail in.

    Thanks
    Phil
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Comet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.