We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Computer taken back 3 times within 1 year!

Hi all,

Just wodnering if you could please give me some advice.

I purchased an ACER desktop computer last March (2009), it has since been back to Acer 3 times for various breakdown repairs between March and Christmas - 10 months!

I have been in touch with Acer customer service (very unhelpful) trying to get a refund for the inconvenience and because I have lost faith in the product. They are not being helpful at all.

Is there any legislation that states that a customer is entitled to a refund or exchange if a product breaks down so many times within its first year?

It was purchased from Comet and we also got an extended warranty through Comet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
«1

Comments

  • smcaul
    smcaul Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Time to forget about Acer, your contract was and is with Comet, write to them telling them that the machine has been repaired 3 time and is still faulty - so goods not fit for purpose or durable, state what you want - either replacement of machine or refund.

    I am assuming first fault was within 6 months? Make sure you tell them that in the letter as this means that the unit was basically inherently faulty from the start.
    Give them 14 days to rectify to your satisfaction, or you will start action through the small claims court.

    Don't mess around and get into long winded arguments with them, just give them (Comet) the 14 days.

    Also, don't let them use the extended warranty, your goods should last longer then a few months, I would also be asking for a refund on the warranty at the same time.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The item needs to be fit for purpose. If its not they need to offer a refund or new replacement.. You need to go back to where you bought it comet and push them not acer. Give them an ultimatum a refund or a new replacement. Make sure you speak to someone with clout a manager
  • Thanks guys.

    If I got a replacement would Comet insist it's another Acer? Cos I really don't want another!!
  • Im having the same problem with my Acer from PC World, it has been back approx 5 times in a year and is going back again tomorrow, I really want them to replace it as it is so faulty but they wont!! Im not giving up though, I will see what they say about it this time!!
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,230
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm in a similar position, I'm in the process of getting a replacement laptop off CPW

    could someone clarify what replacement means

    e.g. must be the same spec, if not better, what happens it either I'm not happy with the replacement offered (inferior brand in my opinion) or they can't match the spec

    any advice would be appricated
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    bignred05 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position, I'm in the process of getting a replacement laptop off CPW

    could someone clarify what replacement means

    e.g. must be the same spec, if not better, what happens it either I'm not happy with the replacement offered (inferior brand in my opinion) or they can't match the spec

    any advice would be appricated

    Have they offered to replace?
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,230
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    Have they offered to replace?

    Yes

    hence my query, I was offered something which I thought (although I could be wrong) was an inferior make/brand
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    bignred05 wrote: »
    Yes

    hence my query, I was offered something which I thought (although I could be wrong) was an inferior make/brand

    Ah so you've had some movement from CPW regarding your dodgy Dell....what are they offering to replace it with? Is it of a similar spec. and price to the Dell?
  • as a matter of interest what were the faults?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,230
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    Ah so you've had some movement from CPW regarding your dodgy Dell....what are they offering to replace it with? Is it of a similar spec. and price to the Dell?

    do I assume you followed my other thread in this forum then ;);)

    I'm not sure what I was offered, thought they said "Acer" however I think they may have said Asus

    I declined this requesting a either a Dell/Toshiba or another "leading" brand, Thoughts please :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.