how much does going to university cost ??

Comments

• VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, only just come across this thread.

£15k is an AWFUL lot of money. I'm back at uni now doing a PGCE, so I get £6k over the year of my course from the dear government. Having been in work for a few years since finishing my first degree, it was difficult at first to live on this amount. However, it is possible. There are plenty of people who survive on alot less. I'm also lucky that I live with my (working) boyfriend, but I haven't asked for any money from him.

crana seems to be on top of things with her outgoings. That's really impressive! I never went out every night at uni, still don't. I couldn't afford it when I was working either! I was lucky that my friends and I used to go to a Wetherspoons on a Saturday night for their 2 meals for £5 (as it was then) deal, then go back to someone's house to drink wine. Not all "friends" seem to think this way.

I had a car when I was at uni, which was very handy for going to the supermarket. All of my housemates would pile into it on a Sunday morning for our weekly shopping trip and we cooked together each night. My biggest outgoing then (and probably still is) is trips to rugby matches - ie tickets and travel to and from the game. Can't miss them..............

We weren't the richest students, but we all lived comfortably and for a lot less than £6k - and an AWFUL lot less than £15k.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    pavlov... of course i don't need convincing !..... i very clearly understand our situation .... but am very much on my own as the kids clearly prefer the other halfs' moneyspending style rather than my moneysaving style.
    it really is a very difficult situation to live with .
    As the kids have become "adults" it ends up as 3 against 1 and becomes even more difficult to manage.

I thought your original posting was excellent .. you're doing it absolutely right and you will benefit throughout your life .
    good luck, and thanks.

sorry, i didnt mean to sound harsh :o

perhaps it would be of more help if i offered some constructive advice?!

firstly, students are a lot of things, but they are not entirely unreasonable. and if you are giving large sums of money, not to mention gifts of the size you are giving your sum, i think it is perfectally reasonable to ask to see what your son is doing with this money. it could be that he has something to show for it. my fear is that you are subsidising an overly lavish student lifestyle. if indeed you are giving your son the means to be out on the !!!!!! every night of the week, you are probably doing him more harm than good (im talking physically here, not to mention his degree).

you've started your research (i also personally recommed the edicuation guardian http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/finance/0,12726,862126,00.html and msn's student finance section http://money.msn.co.uk/Student/default.asp as sources of in-tune and accurate info), i think it is now time for you to start working on your son and hubby. why not print out the pages from this thread, so you can hit them with what other students spend, and use this this as a springboard to discuss why your son 'needs' so much more money than everybody else.

one idea for a compromise...if you can get your son to agree, get him to take a temporary reduction in how much he has off you (you'll prob need to teach him a thing or two about budgeting if he's going to survive in the big bad world). promise him he can have the surplus at the end of term/year. having lived without it, im sure he'd be very appreciative of the lump some with which he could probably buy a whole new wardrobe/ a car/round the world plane ticket/ take a few mates to ibiza for a week.

this are the only ideas i have at the mo, i'll post more as and when they come to me.

im not saying you shouldnt give your son this money, if you can afford to do so, well thats great. its just that there are much more constructive ways that it could be used rather than being p$%^ed up against a wall seven nights a week (which is what i fear is happening). im sure if your husband was to see this was where his hard earned cash was going, he would start to feel differently too.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Thankyou for posting this question Penny I have been looking into returning to education and was worried about the costs involved so this has helped alot! Lets hope if I do I have the attitude of Parlous-dog !
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    pavlov... of course i don't need convincing !..... i very clearly understand our situation .... but am very much on my own as the kids clearly prefer the other halfs' moneyspending style rather than my moneysaving style.
    it really is a very difficult situation to live with .
    As the kids have become "adults" it ends up as 3 against 1 and becomes even more difficult to manage.

My ex-hubby was like that - which is why he's now my ex - LOL Seriously though - He kept running up debt all over the place to fund his lifestyle and I was expected to help fund it with my salary!!

I am now on my own with the kids, lining in Leamington and studying in birmingham. I get a loan, dependents grant and childcare grant and the miserly sum of £25/week housing benefit towards rent. I also get CTC for the kids. If i was being given £15000 per year with no strings attached - you bet that I'd spend it and then whinge if it was reduced!!!

Cut the apron strings and tell him to get a job like all the other students out there - If hubby protests then put your money into a separate bank account and let him fund the spoiled git himself. ;)
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    When I was at University my parents agreed to pay the costs of halls of residence for my stay there...which happened to be for my entire University term. This paid for my room and the majority of my meals. The rest was left up to me. I had to find the cash for books, going out clothes etc... The result was I worked during the holidays, and saved the cash for term time. At the end of it all I had a £1800 overdraft...and that was it. No student loans, nothing. Not bad hey?

However, bear in mind that my 3rd year was spent on a placement....and of course I managed to save quite a bit of cash here as well to spend during my final year at Uni.

I was very strict with my budget, but from the looks of things I am one of the extremely lucky ones.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    sounds like you didn't have to pay fees either..? my fees are £1125 a year on top of everything else which is a bit of a kicker :(
  • vonnie5
    vonnie5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Help! It all sounds pretty expensive! On average how much do you get in grants and loans a year and does anyone know if single parents at university are entitled to any extra help??
  • stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    vonnie.

A standard loan amount is in the region of £4,000 per year. Single parents (and in fact couple parents) can get extra help in some cases. Upto about 15k per year.

Id need to know a little more about your situation, course, start date, region, childcare costs, income etc.... and i could do a rough assessment.

If youd prefer not to post that info on a public forum the DfES booklets are fairly hjelpful (once you get past the dull stuff at the beginning!)
  • chugalug
    chugalug Posts: 969 Forumite
    Vonnie5 - all depends on your situation. I have 3 children and f/t study. Including childcare grant, student loans, higher education grant, parents learning allowance I have £7900 of which I have to pay back the student loan of 4168 per year. Then there are tax credits for the children and no council tax to pay. I dont get any housing benefit so pay full rent. Its a bit of a shock after my £25000 a year job but perfectly manageable. All I have to do is work all summer to catch up! Once you have completed the LEA application for funding they work out everything (including childcare payments) and then authorise the SLC to pay your entitlement in 3 instalments. The only problem for me is the payment in April has to last until October. If you cant work over the summer you would be entitled to claim benefits ie Income Support and Housing Benefit if relevant. Hope that helps.
    ~A mind is a terrible thing to waste on housework~
  • Sorry to join this late, but would just like to share my experience of funding my teenage son this year in his 1st year at university.

I contribute formally to his upkeep, far more than any of my work colleagues do for their children in similar situations, who think I am over generous. They by contrast are always having to pick up the tab for bills that their kids have run up and can't pay for mobiles or car insurance or overdraft, so they aren't living within their budgets anyway.

The arrangement is that he lives within his means, doesn't go overdrawn or take out credit or borrow from anyone and we will finance him for the duration of his education.

He hands over his student loan (a bit over £1000 a term) and I save it in a high interest account. The aim is to give it to him as a graduation gift of which he is completely unaware.

I pay his tuition and accommodation fees direct to the university by DD
    7 months @ ~£500 = £3500

I set up a monthly SO to his bank account from mid September through to mid May
    9 months @ £500 = £4500

So far this seems to work well. Initially he wanted a weekly allowance like he had in the 6th form as he wasn't sure about his ability to make his money last out, but he's learning a lot about how to manage on a fixed income.

This time last year I had no idea of the actual costs involved, but have found that £8000 seems fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure