We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help for elderly mother

Don't know if I have this on the correct thread but here goes. My elderly mother (78) was given a Barclaycard and has run up £300 of debt. She has missed payments due to the fact that she forgets to pay (dementia). I have been visiting her often to care for her and each time I am in the phone has rang and its Barclaycard chasing up missed payments. They ring up to 6 times a day - starting at 8.15am - 8:45pm. they also called on Christmas day and New Years day. I have taken two calls from them today already. I have told them that my mother is not in a position to take calls and asked for them to write instead but they said they cannot do this. I am sick of their behaviour - what else can I do about this?
«1

Comments

  • Have you explained the situation fully to Barclaycard?

    If not, call them up (don't wait for them to call) and explain as fully as you can.

    If Barclaycard still won't listen, talk to a third party such as the Ciitizens Advice Bureau - they always have plenty of advice to offer people in these situations.

    Also, try posting your querie in one of these boards - you will get much better responses.
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is the issue that she can't pay or just that she forgets to pay? My Dad is a bit forgetful (75) so has a direct debit set up so that the payment automatically goes out for his credit card.

    She presumably managed to apply for the card herself?
    Piglet

    Decluttering - 127/366

    Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • concerned43
    concerned43 Posts: 1,316
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes I have explained this fully to them but they refuse to deal with me on this matter, my mother won't sign a mandate to allow me to act for her. I was thinking of getting Trading Standards involved. PS - I work for the CAB!
  • dfh
    dfh Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Get trading standards involved.They are taking advantage of a vulnerable person.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was thinking of getting Trading Standards involved

    On what grounds :confused:
    Piglet

    Decluttering - 127/366

    Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • concerned43
    concerned43 Posts: 1,316
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    She had a direct debit set up but she went in and cancelled it as Barclaycard wanted more monthly payments from her than she could afford and they then agreed she could £20pm. She is now sent a invoice every month which she should take to the bank to pay. I am in a difficult position because I can't take up her case but see her get upset when these phone calls come through.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Unless you can persuade her to let you deal (and to give consent for that to happen) then I think you need to consider whether the is capable of managing her own affairs or whether you need to apply to the Court of Protection for consent to deal with things for her.

    Without her co-operation you can go no further.

    I don't really see that this is Barclaycard's fault though. She managed to apply for a card, managed to run up debt and hasn't paid - you can't really blame them for trying to pursue it. I would have thought though that if you persevere with Barclaycard you may find them prepared to talk to you despite the DPA, I've usually found that to be the case as long as I don't require the organisation I'm speaking to to give me information.
    Piglet

    Decluttering - 127/366

    Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sorry, I meant to say you have my sympathy, for all his faults, my Dad happily allows my sister and I to hold Power of Attorney and is very happy for me to deal with the things he doesn't want to deal with.

    Good luck with your Mum, it sounds like you have some tough decisions ahead x
    Piglet

    Decluttering - 127/366

    Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Unless you have POA then they are quite right.

    Whilst your mother retains her responsibility for her own affairs its for her to resolve. With the utmost respect she spent the money and is liable to repay the funds.

    The easiest way to solve this is cut up the card and pay the arrears off.
  • Has your mother actually been diagnosed with Demtia?

    If so you can apply for POA without her approval through the courts, it isn't as difficult as people think.

    My mother had Alzheimer’s and from diagnosis she lost her right to vote and my father had to take control of all the finances including her bank accounts.

    If your mum has been diagnosed check the date of diagnosis alongside the date of the credit card application. She may not have been classed as legally not able to apply. Barclaycard will probably be able to set up a repayment plan with you but they will also cancel the card.
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.