Forum Home» How much have you saved?

House clearance turned out to be a con - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

House clearance turned out to be a con

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
27 replies 9.9K views
13»

Replies

• H2CH2C Forumite
    1 posts
    Not all house clearance companies work like that.

You need to make sure that they are registered with the Environment Agency.
  • ok, good info for the future.
  • clairehiclairehi Forumite
    1.4K posts
    What a shame for the OP. this thread reminds me of many years ago when my great aunt died and many valuable items were found to have *disappeared* from the house - either sold by her for buttons to unscrupulous dealers, or stolen by people viewing the house. Trust no-one - sad but true.
  • clairehi wrote: »
    What a shame for the OP. this thread reminds me of many years ago when my great aunt died and many valuable items were found to have *disappeared* from the house - either sold by her for buttons to unscrupulous dealers, or stolen by people viewing the house. Trust no-one - sad but true.
    Well I had to hand over to council now for them to clear it cause we had no more time left, but I would love to stick up in neon lights what !!!!!! that house clearance was and that Mary with their promises and no show. I just want everyone to know what scum they are.
  • hollydays wrote: »

Thanks for info which may help in future, you never know. But this time obviously the house clearance didn't show up anyway. But when they said they would pay me for the stuff I should have realised nothing is that easy, but as I never dealt with it before I did not know what to look for and only had certain limited time to clear out the house to. Just to clarify although its been done now.

This woman contacted me thru ebay, she had just a number and said they did house clearance, this man came and looked around dads house and went, I arranged a day and they never showed up, when rang never answered either, I guess they could have been anybody now cause I did not even know the name of their business. Only that this lady was called Mary and her phone number. but when I first rang her it was her home number which was strange as surely she would have a business number. I knew it was her house number as she said, oh the kids are here at my house currently and running about. That was not professional for a start really.

anyway, thanks
  • DollardogDollardog Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately they sound like people who just wanred useful stuff to sell on Ebay, or perhaps car boots. Probably the man didn't see anything useful for that when they came to visit. They should have at least been honest with you.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support