Forum Home» How much have you saved?

House clearance turned out to be a con - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

House clearance turned out to be a con

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
27 replies 9.9K views

Replies

• but this is the thing. my dads house that was given up, I have not lived there in years and the house was in my dads name only as he being the only tenant. When Mum died it succeeded to my Dad only.
  • salnew wrote: »
    Hi,
    Are the council charging you for clearing the House?
    Cause when my dad died and i had to give the keys back to the council they said they would clear anything left, they then a few months later charged me £1000.00 for clearing, i am at the moment arguing the case.

I checked this when handed in keys and she checked and said there will be no charge as to the circumstance, I told her we don't have the money and the house clearance never turned up. But after reading peoples comments on here and on another site, if they later say I have to pay then I will say, hang on, the lady who signed this said there will be no charge in these circumstances.
  • salnewsalnew Forumite
    72 posts
    Dear Ladywriter1968
    I had not lived at my dad's house for many years as well, i just wanted to warn you just in case as they too had said no charge because my dad had been disabled. and my house clearance had let me down as well. I'm not paying them because i don't have the money and they said it would not cost.
    I know how stressful this whole situation is with house clearance etc,Sorry if i have caused any more worry, as i just dont trust the councils and just wanted to warn you. This was over a year now and have not heard anything for a while so hopefully they have the message that i'm not paying.

Anyway Hope you have a great new year and that your dad is happy in his new home
    DONT BUY IT, I DONT NEED IT
    :wave:
  • I sometimes wonder if the House Clearance firms in the paper really do house clearances... :confused:

My parents had to clear a house after the death of a relative. In their case, it was a council house out of town, and no-one seemed interested once they heard the street name. It was actually a nice area, and the house had a lot of very nice antique furniture that was far too good to throw out.

I can't figure out if the firms involved thought "council house = nothing of value", or whether they were cherry picking elderly and distressed relatives in the hopes of paying £10 for a Ming vase.

In the end, my parents talked to one of the neighbours, and found a friend of theirs owned a second-hand shop, and he agreed to take the furniture and donate a percentage to charity. They still had to pay the council to take away the less valuable stuff, but at least the shop owner did what he agreed to do.

Seems like another case where personal recommendation - if you can find one - is the best way to find someone reliable.
  • salnew wrote: »
    Dear Ladywriter1968
    I had not lived at my dad's house for many years as well, i just wanted to warn you just in case as they too had said no charge because my dad had been disabled. and my house clearance had let me down as well. I'm not paying them because i don't have the money and they said it would not cost.
    I know how stressful this whole situation is with house clearance etc,Sorry if i have caused any more worry, as i just dont trust the councils and just wanted to warn you. This was over a year now and have not heard anything for a while so hopefully they have the message that i'm not paying.

Anyway Hope you have a great new year and that your dad is happy in his new home
    Well thanks for telling me, I guess the council have to gone back on their word to you then or have they and expect you to pay now then?

I am wondering if I can get it in writing from the council about not paying actually, just a thought. So you know the same as me about the *** house clearance let you down to, its horrid isnt it really. That people are this cruel basically. There are a few other names I can call them but they would not print this up if I did it here.
  • beluga wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if the House Clearance firms in the paper really do house clearances... :confused:

My parents had to clear a house after the death of a relative. In their case, it was a council house out of town, and no-one seemed interested once they heard the street name. It was actually a nice area, and the house had a lot of very nice antique furniture that was far too good to throw out.

I can't figure out if the firms involved thought "council house = nothing of value", or whether they were cherry picking elderly and distressed relatives in the hopes of paying £10 for a Ming vase.

In the end, my parents talked to one of the neighbours, and found a friend of theirs owned a second-hand shop, and he agreed to take the furniture and donate a percentage to charity. They still had to pay the council to take away the less valuable stuff, but at least the shop owner did what he agreed to do.

Seems like another case where personal recommendation - if you can find one - is the best way to find someone reliable.
    thanks for info, but its to late now as I have already given back keys etc to council.
  • conradmumconradmum Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If anyone else has to do this, it might be an idea to put the address and a date on your local Freecycle. You'll probably get rid of a lot of stuff this way as many people love to take something if it's free (we've had the most awful old things taken when we leave a skip outside our house when having a clearout).
  • snaxsnax Forumite
    275 posts
    The vast majority of firms advertising this sort of service are all without exception looking for jackpot clearance jobs where they get 'paid' to take away and 'respectfully dispose' of furniture and effects - in reality they're all after valuable antique/collectible items with a ready re-sell market waiting.

It is true that 'Council house/estate' jobs are generalrised as not worth clearing - there is unlikely to be any high value antique/jewellery/paintings etc - usually just general household stuff [Argos furniture, Currys electricals, MFI bedrooms etc] - So no-one wants to do the job - no money in it for them - likely even cost them money as most councils now charge to use the tip for unsaleable clearance loads [£70/ton where I am].

If this is your situation and you have contracted over the phone for a firm [usually a "Man + Van" type operation] to come and clear .... they've already been and had a look through the windows to see what's what and decided it's not worth the bother - sad - given the circumstances of most clearance work - but true.
    Learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else has:rotfl:
    Regards
    S.
  • snax wrote: »
    The vast majority of firms advertising this sort of service are all without exception looking for jackpot clearance jobs where they get 'paid' to take away and 'respectfully dispose' of furniture and effects - in reality they're all after valuable antique/collectible items with a ready re-sell market waiting.

It is true that 'Council house/estate' jobs are generalrised as not worth clearing - there is unlikely to be any high value antique/jewellery/paintings etc - usually just general household stuff [Argos furniture, Currys electricals, MFI bedrooms etc] - So no-one wants to do the job - no money in it for them - likely even cost them money as most councils now charge to use the tip for unsaleable clearance loads [£70/ton where I am].

What happened was this man came round and had a look at dads stuff. And later I made an arrangement for this house clearance to come, they even said they would pay me £100 to clear the stuff. I didnt have to pay them, they would pay me, if they were not interested and said to me when I rang them, sorry but we are not interested after all I would have respected that and could have made other arrangements,

But what made me fuming was the fact they even agreed with me a time and date to do it, and we dont live local either and we had to get there very early to be there for them, and then they never showed up, I rang the woman a few times asking where they were, they did not respond. So then as not having any more time left to arrange nothing as hubby had his operation coming up following week, we had to just give the keys to the council and told them there was stuff in there to clear. So now the housing officer rang me and and took over now and they will sort it.

But it was really ignorant as all the house clearance had to do was be honest and say, sorry we are not interested there is nothing of value there for us, or whatever, that way I would have had more time to organise something else. Later when hubby rang them in the evening they even had the nerve to pretend it was not them on the phone.

But I must admit, I put ad up on ebay about house clearance and this woman left me a message with a number so I guess she could have been anyone really, but at the time I was under so much stress with Dad sick and other stuff that I could not think of everything, I had no help at all from any family and being only child I had to do the lot on my own.

I must say that my dads family suck! and I say this cause I wanted to get it off my chest really. If they helped me it would not have been such a mess.

But thanks for your information appreciated, and its all been sorted out now.
  • MipsMips Forumite
    19.8K posts
    House Clearance companies often just want to get in there and have a look - they want items which they can sell on and make a good profit, such as Antique furniture etc etc..

Guaranteed they make more money off it :(

Sorry you had such a bad experience.
    :cool:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support