Free prepaids SIM cards in the US ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
3 replies 488 views
tony2toestony2toes Forumite
41 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
I'm heading off to the US shortly and am wondering if any of the cell providers over there give away free prepaid SIM cards like we do in the UK ? Could someone point me to the appropriate website(s) please?

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• mrcampmrcamp Forumite
    298 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Not a common thing. However, I am certain you can walk into an AT&T or Tmobile store and get a free or very cheap sim, as long as you buy topup. Heck! You can even get a tmobile/At&t sim/phone combination from walmart, target, radioshack, etc. for about $20 or so.
  • Any American T-Mobile store will sell you a GSM SIM card for $9.99 including 10 minutes of starter credit (US calls). After this, calls to the US are 33.3 cents per minute, and to the UK $1.60.

Texts within the US are $0.10 to send and $0.05 to receive. Sending a text to the UK is $0.35, but still only $0.05 to receive it. If your phone is locked, they'll do a 'starter kit' with a phone for under $20.

Remember to use 'Pay as you Go' rather than 'Pay by the Day' so you qualify for international calling and texts.
    Hope that helps,

Mark

Full Disclosure If this is a mobile phone related post, I'd like to disclose that I currently work for Three retail but any posts I make are my own, and not endorsed by the company in any way. I use this forum in a private capacity.
  • slewis1972slewis1972 Forumite
    238 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Good fo here. Anyone know sim only deal in US with good value data costs?

Scott
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals