Help! with Demanding and Angry Buyer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
40 replies 4.3K views

Replies

• neil2joneil2jo Forumite
    41 Posts
    merrymary wrote: »

Can he open a dispute in PP for item not received now? how many days does he have to wait before he can?

Help.....:confused:
    Thanks!
    MMx

From my own personal experience, on both sides of a dispute, yes he can raise a dispute with paypal and I would recommend this course. In turn your funds the said amount are frozen. You will need to provide proof of delivery, if you cant paypal will take your money and pass it to the buyer.
    Whilst you can offer proof of postage, this prooves nothing, it could have been Xmas card to Granny in Scotland, that you have proof for.
    The few days speny with paypal, may allow the parcel to arrive and therefore close the matter. However I expect after this amount of time, the parcel is lost/stolen.
    Consider the money lost. To claim back your ebay fee's (to reduce loses) your can select the sale and follow through with pages, this refunds your selling fee's and will lead to a refund of paypal charges aswell.

One leason you should always learn, does not matter the value of your goods ALWAYS have a parcel signed for at the PAYPAL address, you build the cost into the postage charge...this way it does not matter if the queen signed for it, youv'e done your part, the problem is now the customers.:o
  • neil2jo wrote: »
    One leason you should always learn, does not matter the value of your goods ALWAYS have a parcel signed for at the PAYPAL address, you build the cost into the postage charge...this way it does not matter if the queen signed for it, youv'e done your part, the problem is now the customers.:o

As a buyer looking at 2 identical items on ebay (same BIN price but one with a higher P&P price due to Recorded Delivery) I would buy the cheaper item everytime. Recorded delivery has no protection for me as a buyer so why would I pay more for this service?
    Operation House Move £11993.60/£25000 (47% achieved)
    Save £12k in 2015 #135 (£390.21 / £2400) (16%)
  • Jacks_xxxJacks_xxx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of sending all my items recorded delivery at my own expense - i find theres about 1 in 20 that goes AWOL - the buyer invariably thinks i'm pulling some sort of scam, they dont appreciate the prompt refund and then my local post office look at me as if i'm on the fiddle when i ask for a claim form...

I lost 37 out of the 100 I posted at the PO in September 2007 so eventually I bypassed the Post Office's investigation procedures and went to the Police. The thefts were eventually traced to a Post Office employee. When the one crap employee at my local PO gets in a stress about me sending things Recorded because it creates work for him, or insisting on individual receipts for each item with the Postcode of each indidvidual recipient on them I just remind myself of that time and kick his bottom!

MerryMary I have several parcels despatched on Dec 14 which have not arrived yet. I send (almost) everything Recorded so I can look online to see who has received theirs and who hasn't, even if they haven't left FB. I think with the relatively few numbers of working days in the past couple of weeks and the weather issues there are probably many parcels stuck in a backlog somewhere.

I think that when your buyer rants he is really angry with himself for leaving buying a Christmas present for somebody he is supposed to care about so late.

My advice is to kill him with kindness. Keep in touch, apologise a lot and hope for the best. Most buyers calm right down when the parcel arrives and they can see how quickly you posted it.

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with an irate buyer. I know it is V. stressful.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    neil2jo wrote: »
    One lesson you should always learn, does not matter the value of your goods ALWAYS have a parcel signed for at the PAYPAL address, you build the cost into the postage charge...this way it does not matter if the queen signed for it, youv'e done your part, the problem is now the customers.:o

For low value items it does not make sense paying an extra 75p for a signature (which you may well not get anyway) if the additional cost makes you uncompetitive. It gives you no more compensation than you get for free with a CoP.
    3.9K Posts
    larlie1983 wrote: »
    As a buyer looking at 2 identical items on ebay (same BIN price but one with a higher P&P price due to Recorded Delivery) I would buy the cheaper item everytime. Recorded delivery has no protection for me as a buyer so why would I pay more for this service?

I am never the cheapest on eBay, but often my items sell when other cheaper ones don't. Price is only one factor people use to make a buying decision, and often it works exactly in reverse of what you suggest.

Many of my buyers choose me because of the Recorded Delivery because they believe that their item - and failing that, their money - is safer that way.

Recorded Delivery can also indicate that the item has value to the seller and is not an easily replaced worthless fake, plus if the seller bothers to add the extra protection of Recorded Mail then the chances are they will package the item up properly too, and not send it in a blue stripey placky bag with a stamp on, or a basic paper envelope.

Recorded Mail is also quicker and easier on the refund front, and easier to keep the buyer informed if the PO have tried to deliver.

So basically Recorded Delivery can indicate to some buyers that it is a better item, from a better seller, which will be packaged better and handled better if things go wrong. Some people prefer better to cheaper.

I think it probably depends on what you are selling, but I rarely send anything worth over a fiver by standard mail.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • EssexGirlEssexGirl Forumite
    962 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Get your buyer to check at the sorting office. A friend sent 3 parcels out on the same day, the other two arrived at their destinations, mine didn't. I left it 10 days or so then went to the sorting office. Lo and behold it was there. Turns out my usual postie wasn't on duty that week and his replacement couldn't be bothered to bring it out of the sorting office. I didn't even get a card through the door, so if I hadn't checked, I wouldn't have got it.
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    Recorded Delivery can also indicate that the item has value to the seller and is not an easily replaced worthless fake, plus if the seller bothers to add the extra protection of Recorded Mail then the chances are they will package the item up properly too, and not send it in a blue stripey placky bag with a stamp on, or a basic paper envelope.
    Our items go out in a paper envelope, we never use recorded, and we're not the cheapest.
    We have always got glowing feedback comments (including about packaging) though.

How we ever manage to sell anything is a mystery. :p

Horses for courses I say. For some people recorded works, for some it is unnessecary. :)

But, on topic, to the OP, I know it doesn't help, but perhaps next year if you sell over the holidays it might be a idea to put a little note on the top of your listings explaining the last posting dates.
    Some buyers are too stupid to check for themselves, unfortunately. :(
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
    3.9K Posts
    Absolutely my lovely. :D Just to clarify, I mean no disrespect to sellers for whom a plain paper envelope is a suitable packaging medium.

I was thinking specifically of the items I sell, and people comparing listings for similar products to mine. With these kinds of items a plain paper envelope would not be appropriate or suitable packaging.
  • foxy219foxy219 Forumite
    417 Posts
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of sending all my items recorded delivery at my own expense - i find theres about 1 in 20 that goes AWOL - the buyer invariably thinks i'm pulling some sort of scam, they dont appreciate the prompt refund and then my local post office look at me as if i'm on the fiddle when i ask for a claim form...

Anything I list in 2010 will be sent by recorded delivery at my own expense. I have had two parcels go missing since November. I have refunded one buyer and am still waiting to hear back from the other but believe the item to be lost as something else posted the same day arrived the following day. It is frustrating that we put our trust in Royal Mail and they lose the parcels, I can't yet comment on their policy of refunding for lost items as am still waiting to hear from them. All I can say is that in 5 years of buying and selling on ebay these are the first items that have gone missing so I can't really complain
    Motto: You gotta be in it to win it!:j
    2015 Objective - Pay off credit cards/Overpay mortgage
    2015 Wins: Nothing yet, but keeping trying :T
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Since recorded items in my area rarely, if ever show as delivered when you check online I think it is an absolute waste of money. Why pay 75p and still lose a chargeback anyway? I noticed on the community boards that there are certain sellers who believe that merely sending recorded stops a chargeback-it doesn't.

However, my new policy is every man for themselves, so I strongly urge and encourage all my competitors to spend an additional 75p of their profit sending everything recorded, it makes my items look cheaper and I can outsell them at every turn. On an average of 100 parcels a month I save £75 but not using recorded..that money is mine all mine and much better in my pocket than in RMs pocket.

I would never pay extra for recorded and don't expect any of my buyers to be willing to do so either.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides