Help! with Demanding and Angry Buyer

Options
Hi guys,
Can you please help me with this buyer...

I sold my son's electronic board game on the 20th Dec, i posted the next morning, 21st Dec, 9.56am, first class. Sent them a quick message to say it's been posted.

Now...I never put a guaranteed delivery before christmas. It's listed as used but complete and working order. I started it with 99p and didn't expect it to fetch as much as buying it new.

The buyer sent me a message on the 26th, asking if the item was already posted, it was meant to be a christmas present, to refund if it hasn't. He said he received his other parcels except mine and if he had known he should've bought it new.

The messages come across very angry and rude lots of !!!!!! and in capslock.

Kept my replies calm and polite. Considering the time of the year, weather conditions, etc. I asked him to wait a bit longer. I did my best and posted it as soon as I can to give it the best chance to get to him before christmas or shortly after. Not my fault he hasn't done a research on the item before bidding/buying.

His last message was asking me sort out a refund ASAP so he can buy it new from the shop and he's been patient enough (it's only been 5 days) :rolleyes:

Am a bit unsure on what to do next. I was composing a polite reply but thought i'll post here and ask for your advice, lovely, experienced people.

I have a proof of posting and willing to give a refund if it doesn't turn up. I'll claim with RM.

Do I refund now? or wait for 15 working days, making sure it really is lost in the post. I bet it's just delayed. What if i give a refund now and it turns up. I will lost the game (doubt he will send it back to me) and 20 odd pounds.

Can he open a dispute in PP for item not received now? how many days does he have to wait before he can?

Help.....:confused:
Thanks!
MMx

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He has to wait 7 days before he can start an NPB, so he is within that time frame. However at this time of year with so many bank holidays it has only actually been 6 working days so it isn't definitley lost yet. Try and get them to wait a bit longer, at least until weekend, but ultimately you will have to refund if you can't prove delivery.

You can do your own claim after 15 working days which again allowing for bank holidays is not until well into january.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • merrymary
    Options
    Ok. I assume RM are working tomorrow.
    Friday, 1st, is bank holiday.
    Until Saturday then, if he still hasn't received it.
    I will refund in full.

After 7 working days, is it really lost? It might just be delayed.
    In that case, they'll get the game and money. While I have to chase mine with RM.

Thanks,
    MM x
  • milliemonster
    Options
    Blimey, I'm still waiting for items I bought on 16th! some buyers just aren't prepared to wait are they?
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • PopeSock
    PopeSock Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2009 at 11:35AM
    Options
    You didn't promise delivery before Christmas, so don't worry. If he tries to threaten you with negative feedback, report him to E-Bay for feedback extortion. Some buyers are just !!!!!!. Give it a few days longer. It's just a shame it wasn't sent recorded, as he could concievably start a PayPal claim.
  • merrymary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I did send a couple of parcels the same day, first class and they've received it on the 23rd and was impressed with the delivery (left a glowing feedback)
    I guess he was just unlucky not to receive his.

When I buy something, I personally wait 2 weeks before contacting the seller about the whereabouts of my item. In 5 years on ebay, (buying mostly) this is the first difficult buyer i've dealt with in a looong time. So not doing too bad.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!!!!!!
    Wish you all wealth, health and happiness in the year 2010!!!!!! :)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    merrymary wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I did send a couple of parcels the same day, first class and they've received it on the 23rd and was impressed with the delivery (left a glowing feedback)
    I guess he was just unlucky not to receive his.

When I buy something, I personally wait 2 weeks before contacting the seller about the whereabouts of my item. In 5 years on ebay, (buying mostly) this is the first difficult buyer i've dealt with in a looong time. So not doing too bad.

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!!!!!!
    Wish you all wealth, health and happiness in the year 2010!!!!!! :)

I take it you didnt send it recorded delivery? I'd say it wont :rolleyes: turn up.

You're going to get a negative anyway so, i guess you could prolong it out as long as possible saying as he is being a !!!!. When he leaves a neg, just leave a follow up message saying 'item lost in post, refunded buyer'.

I'd then be inclined to leave him feedback saying 'Prompt payer, but aggressive attitude even though refunded due to item lost in post' or similar.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm thinking of sending all my items recorded delivery at my own expense - i find theres about 1 in 20 that goes AWOL - the buyer invariably thinks i'm pulling some sort of scam, they dont appreciate the prompt refund and then my local post office look at me as if i'm on the fiddle when i ask for a claim form...
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of sending all my items recorded delivery at my own expense - i find theres about 1 in 20 that goes AWOL - the buyer invariably thinks i'm pulling some sort of scam, they dont appreciate the prompt refund and then my local post office look at me as if i'm on the fiddle when i ask for a claim form...

If you are getting figures of 1 in 20 going astray then you really need to check your packaging and your labelling, that is unacceptable.

I have had no loss in the last 1000 parcels sent, apart form one item to my cousin.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • merrymary
    Options
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    I take it you didnt send it recorded delivery? I'd say it wont :rolleyes: turn up.

You're going to get a negative anyway so, i guess you could prolong it out as long as possible saying as he is being a !!!!. When he leaves a neg, just leave a follow up message saying 'item lost in post, refunded buyer'.

I'd then be inclined to leave him feedback saying 'Prompt payer, but aggressive attitude even though refunded due to item lost in post' or similar.

Do you think it's lost already?
    Am still hopeful that it will turn up. Sent him a message to wait until wednesday for a full refund if he hasn't received the game. And to send the game back to me if it does turn up. Doubt he'll do that :rolleyes:

No, i didn't send it recorded. Never had a problem sending item 1st/2nd class and most of my items are under £39 anyway (just stuff lying around the house).
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Options
    He is being very impatient and unreasonable. I'd just reiterate that it is on it's way and if he no longer wants it once it arrives to return it for a refund. I wouldn't consider refunding until 15 working days have passed. He could always check at the sorting office as well in case it is awaiting collection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure