ISP suggested?

I am deciding which ISP to sign up with. Being an O2 customer for my mobile for over 6 years, O2 is the obvious choice, but I have heard many neg comments about their BB. So what should I do? Any other ISP suggested?

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    O2 would be my choice too but only if your exchange is LLU enabled. Their Access service is poor in comparison. However with their LLU service I have heard nothing but good comments - my son and a friend both have O2 LLU.
  • ExTra_2
    ExTra_2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    How do I find out? I am guessing they can check it for me when I express my intention to sign up? But would they lie to me?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just go to www.samknows.com, then exchange search, and check if O2 are enabled for LLU on your exchange. It's under 'LLU Operator presence'.
    Why on earth would they lie about this when they know you can check it so easily?
    And if you go to the O2 site and use the number checker then it will tell you what speed you can possibly get and which packages are available to you. If it only offers you O2 Access then you kow what your exchange is not LLU for O2.
    O2 LLU is excellent, o2 Access is not. Two entirely separate products.
    PS: remember that if you sign up with O2 you should do so via Quidco to get the cashbacks.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ExTra_2
    ExTra_2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Yeah, just checked it, my local exchange is LLU enabled with O2, so I guess I am good to go with O2.
  • macman
    So you can get up to 8Mbps for £7.50pm with your O2 mobile discount (plus Quidco of course).
  • Yeah, it says I can get up to 7mbps from my address, which is plenty compare to the stupid mobile boardband now.

Thanks
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jem16 wrote: »
    O2 would be my choice too but only if your exchange is LLU enabled. Their Access service is poor in comparison. However with their LLU service I have heard nothing but good comments - my son and a friend both have O2 LLU.

Broadly I agree, but recently on these forums it came up that my local exchange (LLU) is well over subscribed, with resulting problems.

Have a look at DSL ZoneUK, not wanting to be negative, but I think O2 have slipped back a bit in the last few months.

But that could be due to the Access service being taken up by people who don't understand the difference between the products.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Just had a look at Quidco and Top Cashback, both offer 75 pounds cash back on signing up with the O2 standard service which will cast me 7.5 / month = 90 a year. So if I sign up through Quidco or Top Cashback, then I would be paying 25 pounds for a whole year worth of BB? Isn't that too good to be true? I have no experience with cashback sites, this just seems too good to be true. Any advice?
  • macman
    ExTra wrote: »
    Just had a look at Quidco and Top Cashback, both offer 75 pounds cash back on signing up with the O2 standard service which will cast me 7.5 / month = 90 a year. So if I sign up through Quidco or Top Cashback, then I would be paying 25 pounds for a whole year worth of BB? Isn't that too good to be true? I have no experience with cashback sites, this just seems too good to be true. Any advice?

It's not too good to be true, though your maths is slightly out-it will cost you £15 for the first year, assuming you qualify for the O2 mobile discount. No catch at all with the cashback sites. I personally prefer Quidco, though they do charge you £5 per year admin fee which comes off your first payment.
  • Oh yes, 90 - 75 is 15, isn't it? Well, too tired last night is my excuse. :tongue: I am still patiently waiting for the engineer to return to complete the job... until then, I can't do nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure