Cat Food - does anyone make their own?

in Pets & Pet Care
25 replies 2.2K views

Replies

• FileyFiley Forumite
    315 Posts
    Commercial pet mince sounds interesting - where do you get that? And raw feeding also sounds interesting - is it *good* for them? And what about the taurine that they need, which foods is that found in?[/QUOTE]

Cats have evolved to deal with raw food including all the yucky parts which contain more essential vitamins and such like, so if you think doing what comes naturally is good for them then raw food is the way to go. There is a forum somewhere on the internet about raw feeding for cats and dogs which you could possibly find on google but it is mostly American and tends to be a bit over the top in some respects. However you can learn from it. I did.

Anyway I now feed my cats on a mixture of raw and fresh (not at the same time). It is not a good idea just to get them chicken breast as it is lacking in some of the essentials. eg taurine. And more expensive. Thighs/legs are better. The more work a muscle does the more taurine it has. I get drumsticks from the supermarket and freeze them in twos. Also chicken wings. They get liver once a week, and I also get frozen hearts from my butcher in a pack which I separate. They also get tinned and dried. Sometimes I get given fish by a fisherman friend but I cook it for them. I suppose if they ate it outside I could give them it raw.

If you go to the supermarket at the right times you can often buy fresh meat reduced because it has reached its sell by date. As long as you use or freeze it straight away it is fine for cats (for human consumption too.)

I have an elderly cat (16) and two 7 month olds. The elderly one has thrived on the raw food and joins in with rough and tumble with the youngsters, although she is still head cat! She used to throw up a lot and was generally 'elderly' but the raw food seems to suit her and she seems much healthier.
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Forumite
    638 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].

Thanks - I didn't realise there was a dedicated pet care board :o
  • THIRZAHTHIRZAH Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I used to cook a whole(cheap) chicken for my cat in the slow cooker then freeze the meat and stock in yogurt pots.He loved it and it was the only way we could get his medicine down him. He had ordinary cat food for breakfast and the chicken for tea and lived to be 19.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it's post-xmas and I am seriously skint, I've been looking at my weekly shopping budget...CAT FOOD costs me £15 per week. That's for 2 adult cats: 2 boxes of Purina and 8 small cans. Can't have dry food as my female cat suffers with cystitis and the vet has advised a wet food only diet.

Does anyone make their own cat food? If so, any recipes please?

Thanks! :T

I am currently trying to feed Noah a healthy balanced diet on 50p per day, using as high meat content foods as possible. There are quite a few threads debating raw feeding versus commercial cat food, and also debating food containing grains (wheat/ maize/ rice) versus high meat content so well worth a read around the board. ;)

If you require wet only then you might consider Pets at Home Purely in small tins (50% fish, complete, £2.80 per kilo), Bozita in large cans or tetrapacks (90% meat, complete, £2.80 a kilo), Feline Fayre in large tins (70% fish, complementary, £1.30 per kilo) or in pouches (60% fish, complementary, £2.80 per kilo), Tesco Luxury (50% meat) or HiLife (50% meat) both only as cheap as the other brands when on offer.

If you are willing to go the raw route then the best place to start is the Food4Cats website, a 3.2kg sample pack is £10 delivered and the cost is refundable against your next order. I feed Noah, a large cat, half a 'sausage' or 200g per day which is loads as there is no jelly or gravy filling up the pack. I would add a splash of warm water for your cat that gets cystitis.

You can also make your own mixes up - you will need muscle meat, bone (minerals), offal (heart for taurine, liver and kidney for vitamins) and skin (for essential fats). Chicken breast will not provide sufficient taurine, essential fatty acids or minerals so should only be fed as part of a balanced raw or cooked diet.

Cheapest way to get many of the ingredients is to make friends with a butcher - many raw feeders report getting offcuts FREE! :money:Frozen Value or Basics chicken portions are £1.40 a kilo, chicken wings £1.80 per kilo and whole chickens £2 per kilo. Wings are a great introduction to raw as the bones are small, but are not meaty enough to feed alone. I find a pair of poultry shears really useful for breaking the bones up into manageable pieces. Cats can also be fed the occasional raw egg with or without the shell; if you want to feed egg regularly you will need to cook the white.

Some cats take to a raw diet really easily and others look at you like you are mad! :p Noah was across the room like a shot the first time I opened a pack of chicken wings, and purrs every time I give him raw. Other people have to introduce raw slowly, mixing in with the existing food or even making a game with the chicken wing so they 'kill' and eventually eat.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • We used to use Value Tuna & plain boiled rice for our cat, as she had a digestive problem and we were told not to use anything containing sunflower oil (you'd be surprised how much that discounts!). we did do the whole chicken & rice thing, but tuna was cheaper and once we'd worked out she could stomach it we stuck with it!
    GREENS M'SHIP OFFER NOW CLOSED SO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME!
    Olympic Debt-free Challenge £2150/£11900 = 18.0%
    NOW INVESTIGATING AN ALTERNATIVE TO MY IVA - I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ONE ANY MORE!
    26K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tinned tuna intended for human consumption doesn't contain essential fatty acids or minerals, and is too high in salt for a small animal! Cats have no requirement for carbohydrates in their diet, so rice adds little in the way of quality nutrition. Sorry but that mix is fine for an occasional treat but is not healthy long term.
  • Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Tinned tuna intended for human consumption doesn't contain essential fatty acids or minerals, and is too high in salt for a small animal! Cats have no requirement for carbohydrates in their diet, so rice adds little in the way of quality nutrition. Sorry but that mix is fine for an occasional treat but is not healthy long term.

well our cat lived for 14 years on that diet, didn't do any harm!!
    GREENS M'SHIP OFFER NOW CLOSED SO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME!
    Olympic Debt-free Challenge £2150/£11900 = 18.0%
    NOW INVESTIGATING AN ALTERNATIVE TO MY IVA - I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ONE ANY MORE!
    26K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are people who have smoked sixty a day for sixty years or live on a diet of MacDonalds and Pizza Hut walking around the planet, that doesn't prove cigarettes and junk food are harmless. ;) There is an (often subtle) diffference between thriving and surviving, an (often subtle) difference between being chronically undernourished and optimal nutrition, an (often subtle) difference between full health and the early stages of a disease state.
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Forumite
    638 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I was looking at prawns - cooked and uncooked - on the Sainsburys website...they contain salt :confused: I thought maybe it was cos they're from the sea, but the scallops and crayfish don't contain salt...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News