Cat Food - does anyone make their own?

in Pets & Pet Care
25 replies 2.2K views
As it's post-xmas and I am seriously skint, I've been looking at my weekly shopping budget...CAT FOOD costs me £15 per week. That's for 2 adult cats: 2 boxes of Purina and 8 small cans. Can't have dry food as my female cat suffers with cystitis and the vet has advised a wet food only diet.

Does anyone make their own cat food? If so, any recipes please?

Thanks! :T

Replies

• Lily-LuLily-Lu Forumite
    428 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sorry can't help with recipes, as my two are raw fed (commercial pet mince, and offal, chicken wings/frames, rabbit from the butcher)
    But could you not just use a cheaper wet food? Obviously a reasonable quality one that isn't packed full of grains.
  • msb5262msb5262 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello OP,
    I don't do this regularly but have done when cats poorly with delicate stomachs. Vet recommended approx. half and half (by volume) lightly cooked fish or chicken mixed with cooked rice. Cat certainly enjoyed it, especially when made quite wet. This is a very quick answer but I bet someone will be along in a minute with expert advice!
    HTH
    MsB
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Forumite
    638 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Lily-Lu wrote: »
    Sorry can't help with recipes, as my two are raw fed (commercial pet mince, and offal, chicken wings/frames, rabbit from the butcher)
    But could you not just use a cheaper wet food? Obviously a reasonable quality one that isn't packed full of grains.

I've tried all the varieties from the local supermarkets, they just don't eat them...I'd rather pay the extra and know it won't be wasted, rather than the false economy of cheaper food.

Must admit, I've not tried LIDL's cat food yet, nor have I investigated the pet shop (although pet shops are generally more expensive, I've found).

Commercial pet mince sounds interesting - where do you get that? And raw feeding also sounds interesting - is it *good* for them? And what about the taurine that they need, which foods is that found in?
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Forumite
    638 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    msb5262 wrote: »
    Hello OP,
    I don't do this regularly but have done when cats poorly with delicate stomachs. Vet recommended approx. half and half (by volume) lightly cooked fish or chicken mixed with cooked rice. Cat certainly enjoyed it, especially when made quite wet. This is a very quick answer but I bet someone will be along in a minute with expert advice!
    HTH
    MsB

Sounds yummy to me! :D
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a complete answer, but when my cat was poorly I used "Smart price" frozen chicken bits from ASDA

This was a few years ago so do not know how price compares now
  • Lily-LuLily-Lu Forumite
    428 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

Commercial pet mince sounds interesting - where do you get that? And raw feeding also sounds interesting - is it *good* for them? And what about the taurine that they need, which foods is that found in?
    The pet mince is from http://food4-cats.co.uk/ It comes in 400gm pack. My two females typically eat a little over 2/3 of a pack a day, so it works out reasonably inexpensive.
    Taurine is found naturally in meat. Heart is a good source, so I make sure they have some heart in their diet. It is also found in other muscle meat as well.
    If you wanted to use a supplement, then you'd need to read up on it. I don't feel that I need to personally, as I believe they're getting enough from their diet.
  • I buy Butcher's Classic for my 2, it's £2.49 for 6 tins, and it has no artificial colours in it. They like it more than Whiskas.
  • BigjennyBigjenny Forumite
    592 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭
    Smart Price Frozen Chicken Breast Fillets are around £3.50 a bag. 1kg weight. I got 7 breasts in my current bag.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigjenny wrote: »
    Smart Price Frozen Chicken Breast Fillets are around £3.50 a bag. 1kg weight. I got 7 breasts in my current bag.

Thanks, my option was just chicken, so it had legs as well, no idea if this is still available, but once cooked I removed meat from bone and used it, skin & all, cat never minded one bit, must have thought he was in some sort of gastrocat place
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't - but my mum used to cook rabbit for one of our cats when we were little (when he couldn't catch them himself he refused to eat cat food). The gamekeeper supplied them, and she'd boil them up and then remove the bones. I'm not sure why they had to be cooked seeing as he ate them raw when he caught his own... possibly because they weren't as fresh?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides