cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could always register a credit card and buy using that
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a credit card and can't get one :(
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I don't have a credit card and can't get one :(

If you have a debit card you can register that as its not the DD it shouldn't charge you and work the same way as paying via CC on Paypal
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    It is my debit card that's being charged. I've just spoken to my bank and all they said was that it's a charge that's added because of the transaction being to a foreign account and that I need to contact paypal to find out what's going on. Paypal, of course, say to contact my bank. Not sure where to go from here, from the other thread it's not clear if it's paypal or the banks.

Wonder if this is why I was 'chosen' to be one of the first to get the new debit mastercard my bank are offering, £1.50 each time I buy something on ebay would be a nice little earner for them.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Katiesnan
    Katiesnan Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Ames, I am having the same issue. Just got a mastercard debit card from Yorkshire bank beginning of december and I too am being charged £1.50 for every paypal transaction. I have now removed my card from paypal and added my husbands standard debit card. He says if they offer him the mastercard he's going to refuse it.
  • drzoidberg
    Options
    hi, i just received my mastercard credit card bill and noticed every paypal payment was followed by a foreign exchange fee which varied ( must be a percentage). just started to use an argos card, never had the problem on previous card! think there is any point chasing it?
  • zannie_2
    zannie_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to mainly be mainly the Argos mastercard judging by other posts I have just closed my card - see my post and others
  • tonyb007
    tonyb007 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar problem with Argos Masterdcard charging an exchange fee for a purchase in pounds within the UK. See here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2027107&highlight=argos+mastercard&page=2
    I had to log a complaint in order to get the money refunded.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    If you use a credit card to purchase with Paypal this is likely to be treated as a cash advance and incur a fee.

If not and PayPal and the bank are both blaming each other, complain to both. If they continue to blame each other you can take them both the the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Realistically it is unlikely to get that far because it will cost both of them far more than £1.50 if you do.
  • jrrowleyws
    Options
    If you use a credit card to purchase with Paypal this is likely to be treated as a cash advance and incur a fee.

Not true, I know many people who use a CC on paypal for fraud protection and the like and they have not once charged cash advance fees. If they did that my bill would be huge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure