Extra charge on paypal payment

Options
Hi all, I've just had an extra charge put on a paypal payment by my bank, of £1.50. Does anyone know what it's for and if I can get it back somehow? It was only for 2.99 to start with, so I've paid 50% extra!
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its not NATWEST is it? There is a thread around somewhere about it also on the ebay community boards
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I got this once when i paid using a foreign currency. I hadn`t changed it in my paypal settings so my bank (lloyds) charged me. x
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    No, it's Yorkshire bank. It was in sterling, to a UK seller.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would go to the bank and question it x
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • pug_in_a_bed
    Options
    its something to do with paypal confirming your card, happened to me, email them and ask, they refunded me the charges after they had confirmed whatever they were confirming. I had the same card but it was a new issue which caused it. Annoying but they do refund it.
  • Ames
    Options
    Ah thanks for that, it is a new card and the first time I've used it on paypal, I'll email them now.
  • kawasakikr1
    kawasakikr1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 31 December 2009 at 12:48PM
    Options
    I've just had my Yorkshire Bank statement this morning, and have been charged £1.50 on 9 different PayPal payments. All of these has happened since I got my new mastercard debit card from them.
    I went into the bank this morning to query the charges, they told me it wasn't them that was charging it was PayPal.
    When I got home I phoned PayPal, they told me it was the banks fault and they have had a number of similar cases, and it is caused by the payment going through PayPals Luxembourg office which the bank sees as a foreign payment.
    They asked me to fax my statements to them with the charges highlighted as they are looking into the matter, and when they get enough cases they are going to contact the banks to try and sort the matter out.
    Looks like that's me done with ebay until this gets sorted and I get my money back.

Hope this helps
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier there has been a few problems reported on the ebay communtiy boards. Someone was told because it was counted as an overseas transaction (as paypal are based in luxembourg) your bank charges you. From the threads I have read it seems to be the banks problem (as they put the charges on) not Paypals. The best advice I found was to change banks as no one seemed to be able to solve the problem

I'm with Clydedale who own Yorkshire bank now never had any charges from them

I cant find the thread on the community forums atm sorry

I have found one of the previous threads on this board though HERE Hope that helps
  • milliemonster
    Options
    Not that it helps I guess but I bank with HSBC and have recently registered by bank card on paypal but I haven't had these charges? so it seems its not all the banks doing it?
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • Ames
    Options
    I emailed paypal and they said it's not their fault. I'm going on holiday on monday so I wont be able to contact my bank for another week and a half. I guess I'll have to stop buying on ebay if they're going to keep charging me, most stuff I buy is less than a tenner so it's not worth it with the extra.

Is there still a charge if you upload funds to paypal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure