Leaving a will

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Remember your will is not a once off thing, done and never looked at again until your executors find it. It's something that should be revisited every few years. So if that friend who seems so deserving now turns out differently in 10 years time - make a new will.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bundly wrote: »
    savvy. I think a charity would be my backup if I don't find anyone "deserving" enough. And then it would only be a charity that helped only women.
    I'd suggest you got in touch if you wanted a Bristol women's charity, but I'm fairly sure you wouldn't approve of our client group. ;) We do, however, do fantastic work.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    leave your money to mse
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • bundly
    bundly Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    ... a Bristol women's charity, but I'm fairly sure you wouldn't approve of our client group.

That's a very sweeping statement, considering you've never met me.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    What do you have against men?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • bundly
    edited 2 January 2010 at 12:13PM
    missile wrote: »
    What do you have against men?

Another person jumping to conclusions -- who said I have anything against men?

You are assuming that men are the default, that all assets ought to go to improving men's wealth and status, and if someone wants to give to a woman instead, then she had better explain herself. Or that she has got "something against men".

I don't agree with that opinion. I don't believe that men ought always to be favoured and women always either left out or assigned less of everything.

It is a proven fact that men still earn more than women, get promoted more often than women, are favoured for inheritance more than women, have more assets, more capital, more property, etc, the list goes on and on.

The United Nations states that women own only 10% of the world's wealth, yet they do 90% of the world's work.

Men are clearly already extremely overprivileged when compared with women when it comes to earnings, wealth, inheritance, etc.

Therefore, on principal, having accummulated a little bit of wealth by myself (i.e. I didn't inherit from my father or a divorce settlement) I would never hand it over to a man.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's a very sweeping statement, considering you've never met me.
    No, but you said:
    6. Someone who would make good, sensible use of the money
    As a charity, you could rely on us to make good, sensible use of the money, but our clients aren't renowned for those qualities. Obviously we don't hand money over to our clients for that reason!

Our clients do generally fall into this category:
    7. Perhaps someone who has had some bad luck, or who life hasn't treated all that well.

Anyway, I wasn't entirely serious, because I have no reason to suppose you're interested in a Bristol charity anyway, but I - perhaps unfairly - pick up a hint of you wanting to help someone 'worthy', or a 'worthy cause', which does make life a tad difficult when you work for a 'difficult' client group.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Another person jumping to conclusions -- who said I have anything against men? .

You certainly seem to have a hangup about men and you seem rather argumentative for someone who posted asking advice:rolleyes:.
    You are assuming that men are the default, that all assets ought to go to improving men's wealth and status
    Now who is assuming? I do not agree with that. I believe in equality and that is reflected in my will. :A

If I thought you were open to a reasonable debate, I would add that women outlive men and are more likely to end up as beneficiaries.

PS: I would need more than a mere £250K before I would consider a sex change :rotfl:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Another person jumping to conclusions -- who said I have anything against men?
    Actually, it never occurred to me that you had anything against men; there could have been any number of reasons why you wanted to leave your estate to a woman.

But, having read your last post, now I am convinced!
    ;-)
  • bundly
    edited 2 January 2010 at 8:55PM
    If I wanted to leave my estate to a dogs charity would you attack me for being anti-cat?

If I wanted to leave my estate only to a Christian would you attack me for being anti-Moslem?

I really don't understand why you are so outraged and upset just because ONE woman wants to leave a small amount of money to ONE other woman. Why do you hate women so much that you don't want even one to inherit?

I've got the info I need and won't be returning to this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure