PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick daft question - can you freeze chopped onion?

Options
124»

Comments

• lorraine1056
    Options
    I always though you had to blanche food stuff before freezing especially vegetables and was always under the impression onions go off (rancid) after a while in the freezer. I just bought a large bag of small onions from the co-op for pennies (reduced) and thought I could partially roast or blanch them and then freeze for a short time. Don't know what to do know, think I'll make some pickle instead haha:beer:
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't blanch onions, mushrooms or peppers - perhaps because they are sliced fairly thinly, they don't need blanching?

Answering myself, I don't think it's this because I would still blanch sliced cabbage :D.

So, I'm not sure why you do some & not others - but the veggies I've listed in the first sentence turn out fine without blanching. :)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have got an alloment so we have a lot of vegetables in the freezer. We have spring cabbage, carrots, brussels, green beans, parsnips, broad beans. None have been blanched. I cook beetroot slice and freeze this but thats the only thing. Parsnips are best defrosted then cooked. We keep onions in the dark in the entry but they can be chopped and frozen. If I was going to do this, I would freeze in portions rather than in one big bag. They would be too wet for sandwiches.
  • kittendothroar
    Options
    I often freeze onion that's leftover I.e. a very big onion chopped and I don't want it all. It stinks the fridge out if I keep it in there so prefer the freezer, normally in a tub or small bag
    I love food, hate waste and have a penchant for sparkly things ::D

Trying to find a work life balance...:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family