PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick daft question - can you freeze chopped onion?

Options

Comments

• Sharon_1970_2
    Options
    Do I need to do anything with them apart from chopping them? I don't need to cook them in any way first?
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Do I need to do anything with them apart from chopping them? I don't need to cook them in any way first?

If you'll use using them quickly, then you can freeze them raw (but wrap well if you don't want the smell to permeate everything else ;) ). Otherwise, I'd blanche and drain, or caremelise in butter.

Why do you want to do this :confused: Onions last for months in a cool place.

PEnny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sharon_1970_2
    Options
    I buy in bulk from the market. I bought a huge basket of mushrooms a few months back and chopped them all and froze them and just grab a handful to chuck in soups, casseroles etc. I thought it would be time saving to do the same with onions. I usually keep them in the fridge and normally only buy a few from the supermarket but thought it would work to bulk buy and freeze the onions like mushrooms. Mine never seem to last that long in the fridge
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you want to do this :confused: Onions last for months in a cool place.
    lister wrote: »
    Well yes, as others have said, but just why?

But :eek:

Chopping an onion takes what? a minute? two minutes? It takes almost as long to get a bag of frozen onion out of the freezer and empty it into a pan as it does to chop some fresh. You can't genuinely be saying you don't have a couple of minutes in a day to chop an onion? I don't believe it for a second (or indeed a minute or two ;) ).

Not forgetting that by prechopping, freezing and then defrosting as required, you will be spending half as long again in all as you would just chopping it as required. And you don't destroy the cell structure either, so you will get better texture and less loss of nutrients when you cook them.
    I chopped all my onions today- why ? Cos I hate the smell of them (and they make me cry) and would rather touch them as little as possible! I freeze in bags, and when some are needed I just knock a bit off (through the bag) and then tip into the pan. They soon separate and are fine for my uses (with mince etc). Each to their own really. Bottom line is you can freeze them and it does not destroy them completely :).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I chopped all my onions today- why ?

Sorry :o re-reading my post it sounds a bit snippy - didn't mean it that way :o I've learnt something new :T I know that thriftlady freezes bags of "stew base" - finely chopped veg that she can then throw into whatever casserole or soup she likes.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry :o re-reading my post it sounds a bit snippy - didn't mean it that way :o I've learnt something new :T

Penny. x
    Not really, I was actually answering the other post (which was not cheeky either!), then I saw yours. We all have a different idea of what is helpful and what is not and I just wanted to present mine! I have a supersensitive nose and onions make me cry cry cry :(.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sometimes do a bag of onions or just a bit. Just a bit if I only need a small amount, a lot or a bag if they're getting a bit iffy and need to be saved from the bin. Lots of my onion peelings get put into a ziplock bag in the freezer with carrot tops and celery roots etc. Then when I want to make stock I don't have to start with good quality veg just for seasoning. Parsley stalks go in too, when I have them.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • MmmrsC
    MmmrsC Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I m only 4ft tall and chopping onions is a nighmare for me so I'm looking to buy them already done, Hubby has offered to buy a big sack and have a mass chopping and freezing session. I looked at the Tesco ones but they lack a country of origin on them. I'm not keen to support another countries economy when our own needs it just as much. Not interested either in anything 'prepared' in the uk, got to be grown here too I'm afraid:j
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I usually buy a load and chop them all in one go and freeze - there's only 2 of us and I don't use that much onion so it would waste otherwise. While I'm in the chopping mood I buy cheap peppers and do those too - they can be a bit fiddly sometimes, it so much easier to just get it from the freezer each time (yeah, I'm a lazy cook!)
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MmmrsC wrote: »
    I m only 4ft tall and chopping onions is a nighmare for me so I'm looking to buy them already done, Hubby has offered to buy a big sack and have a mass chopping and freezing session. I looked at the Tesco ones but they lack a country of origin on them. I'm not keen to support another countries economy when our own needs it just as much. Not interested either in anything 'prepared' in the uk, got to be grown here too I'm afraid:j

You can chop onions sitting down you know? :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family