Complaint about CarJet

Options
Booked a week car hire with Carjet from Malaga Airport, requested a Ford Fusion with childrens car seat. Was quoted a good competetive price, paid on line in full, told to pay for car seat locally and knew I would pay for a full tank and would need to take back empty. Arrived, Malaga airport was a nightmare, queued for 1 hour at Europa Goldcar desk. Completed paper work and was handed keys, car seat and told where the car was. Got to the car, a Ford Focus, not cleaned, had to try and fit a car seat in a dimly lit, chaotic underground car park with no instruction whatsoever. Managed to fit seat albeit not happy and attempted to exit airport and arrived at destination. No water in wipers, no way to get to fill up as could not get bonnet up. No car handbook. After week. dropped car off and got home. Sent an e-mail to Carjet outlining concerns re:safety with kids, three weeks now and had no response. Not looking for compo, just an explanation.
Morale is cheap is not always best, for all we are Money Savers you cannot compromise safety!

Comments

• Lady_E
    Lady_E Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    My understanding is that there is no guarantee on exact vehicle hired. We too have had similar problems at Malaga Airport, fortunately there was an ex-pat nearby to us who told us that in Spain , car hire companies have to have the car seats already fitted before customers hire the car. Lord E went back to the Europa desk and eventually one of the staff was paged in the car park to come and do the necessary. We learnt the hard way just to take our own car seats, it costs nothing, albeit you have a trolley load of stuff it certainly puts your mind at rest. If you do take your own carseat remember to cover with a bin bag etc, a) in case it gets wet b)in case there is any "lurgey" in the hold.
    BTW my understanding is Carjet is the "middleman" ,but I do think in this case they should certainly act upon information received.
    We have used Carjet loads of times now (with our own carseats) and they are a good company in our opinion.
  • highet
    highet Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i've just booked a car thro carjet at malaga for next saturday - email says rental company is centauro - after reading the above i'm a bit concerned as we have 2 under 5's - anyone have any experience of centauro/carjet at malaga - thanks
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used Centauro at Ibiza IBZ and they were very good. What time does your flight arrive at Malaga AGP, if not too late you have time to sort any problems out.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've just returned from Alicante and had a Europa car booked through Carjet. It was a brand new Yaris and the only problem was an erratic immobiliser which sometimes meant the car would not start until after much waggling of gearbox and/or other equipment!!! I'm told this is not unusual with the Yaris. Other renters beware!!!

Of course, this is no fault of Europa and certainly not Carjet. When I returned the car, the check-in clerk noted this on the form for follow-up by their service department.

However, in respect of car seats, I noticed Europa had a sign saying, although they could supply seats, they could not fit them! Presumably, their insurance does not cover claims if the seat is fitted incorrectly.

Previous postings here have always suggested taking ones own seats as the quality cannot be guaranteed.

(ps. I'm surprised that Carjet have not responded. In my experience their customer service is second to none.)
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone used Holiday Autos for Balearics, its often tagged on to holiday offers and I was thinking that the deal is best done here so that the T & Cs are clear
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    used H Auto's at malaga..again only a middleman , placed with Sixt...met by chap at departures.. mini bus to off site... quick check thro'. Big plus was when car was broken into/ damaged Sixt replaced ( upgrade) I paid an excess on the day , which H A refunded
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Ali_UK
    Ali_UK Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    Agencies I dealt with in Spain would not fit car seats - it is indeed an insurance issue. I guess they assume most seats are the same and therefore easy to fit for the experienced parent - of course we know they aren't!!
  • dauwalder
    Options
    I have used Carjet for cars at Malaga at least a dozen times. They usually transfer your to Crown Car Hire who are brilliant - You return the tank as you find it. No extras and they dont charge for additional drivers plus their cars are never older than 6 month. On one occasion they did trnasfer us to Gold Europcar and we did have nimerous problems including an unrelibale car, they also took a fule deposit which took 4 weeks to refund and sevral phone calls on. If yosung Carjet insist that they transfer you to Crown. Its cheaper to go through carjet rather thna Crown directly - also you dont have to pay until you arrive and collect the car. Another bonus is that itis on-airport.
  • cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    Options
    dauwalder wrote:
    I have used Carjet for cars at Malaga at least a dozen times. They usually transfer your to Crown Car Hire who are brilliant - You return the tank as you find it. No extras and they dont charge for additional drivers plus their cars are never older than 6 month. On one occasion they did trnasfer us to Gold Europcar and we did have nimerous problems including an unrelibale car, they also took a fule deposit which took 4 weeks to refund and sevral phone calls on. If yosung Carjet insist that they transfer you to Crown. Its cheaper to go through carjet rather thna Crown directly - also you dont have to pay until you arrive and collect the car. Another bonus is that itis on-airport.

Yeh same here always Crown and no problems booked through carjet...

For whiskymincher.. I would email contact them again as they are a great company the problem is that they are only an agent and its Europa Goldcar who are really at fault... though your point of contact is carjet..
  • redalert10
    Options
    carjet is the best car rental company in the world with their excellent customer service and great value for money. i wouldnt say any worse about them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure