We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying the Electrician

Options
13»

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, the mystery may have been solved (sort of). I've been back into the original branch today and insisted on waiting for a personal banker rather than a cashier, incurring a 40-minute wait.

This time, the chap said that the money had left but been returned the same day. He had a feeling that it was because you couldn't transfer straight from an ISA, but a colleague told him you could. Further investigation showed that apparently the electrician's account wasn't recognised (even though I have previously transferred to it).

Anyway, I sent it through again and I'm told that they are on the Fast Transfer system and will therefore recieve the money today. Blasted if I'm texting the electrician to tell him that, though - he can visit his own branch tomorrow and find out it's arrived.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In light of this you can understand why the Electrician is peed off as he hasn't been paid.

Where has the money been cos I thought you said that it had left your account and you would have noticed if it had come back in?
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    In light of this you can understand why the Electrician is peed off as he hasn't been paid.
    True. I suggest that the OP needs to get a written statement from the bank to say what has happened to give to the Electrician. This is starting to look like a banking system error and the bank should take responsibility for this degeneration of the relationship.
    Where has the money been cos I thought you said that it had left your account and you would have noticed if it had come back in?
    Might be slightly unfair as did the OP did not say that having arranged the payment they knew it had been debited and then went away?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keystone wrote:
    Might be slightly unfair as did the OP did not say that having arranged the payment they knew it had been debited and then went away?

Well, I just don't know what to do - the money has definitely left my account and is within its SLAs to arrive in his.......................
    OK, this has descended slightly... he was still nagging while I was en route to my Hogmanay holiday in Edinburgh, so I went into a branch there on 31st December to ask about the money. The cashier confirmed again that the money has been transferred but said that she can't confirm its arrival - the recieving bank would have to do that.... :(

.............. Cos I'm £500 down and all they can say is it's sent. I don't like being accused of messing around - I've paid my bills!

from these 3 posts the OP has said the money has gone/been transferred from her account after she had checked with the bank so it does beg the question where the money is.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Poppy9 wrote: »
    from these 3 posts the OP has said the money has gone/been transferred from her account after she had checked with the bank so it does beg the question where the money is.
    Oh I see - I read your post as being critical of the OP for not noticing that the money had come back - my point being that if they were away how could they? Sorry if I misunderstood you. I agree with you totally - where has it gone? Banking system error?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah - it turns out now that the money hasn't been missing, even though two visits to two different branches said it was! Because it's my ISA, not a current account, I'm completely reliant on what the cashier tells me. I am annoyed that the problem has been 'my end' all along but without me knowing :-( But I still don't like the man's attitude - I spent Christmas and my holiday stressing about this and it's still only 3 weeks since he did the job. Of course he deserves to be paid and I did my beat to do so... It could well have been a banking error for all he knew and I don't appreciate being 'shouted at' in that case.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Please PM me the name of this electrician/company BL, in your 'vicinity'. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport