We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying the Electrician

Options

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if he had suppliers they pay within a month or so on account. Even then what was paid was a fair bit to pay for supplies I bet half of that money will be profit
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    I don't do plasterwork as it looks terrible if I do it

I give the client the number of a good plasterer who I know and he does it all in a few hours

The cost for plastering a rewire is nowhere near the £500 mark, more like £150-£300 tops
    baldly going on...
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    cliffski wrote: »
    Never ever ever ever pay in cash, certainly not that sort of money.
    Why?
    What excatly would you do if he turned around and claiemd he never got the cash?
    Would you pay him any sort of payment and not get an invoice / receipt first? If answer no question not relevant.
    ny workmen wanting payment in cash is likely dodging tax and not someone you should deal with.
    :rolleyes:

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Poppycat wrote: »
    Surely if he had suppliers they pay within a month or so on account. Even then what was paid was a fair bit to pay for supplies I bet half of that money will be profit
    Indeed and his cashflow isn't his clients problem.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, this has descended slightly... he was still nagging while I was en route to my Hogmanay holiday in Edinburgh, so I went into a branch there on 31st December to ask about the money. The cashier confirmed again that the money has been transferred but said that she can't confirm its arrival - the recieving bank would have to do that.

Today, message from electrician:
    No more messing around Badger. I am still owed £500 from you. This has gone on too long now. We all have bills 2 pay !! Leccy
    To which I replied:
    Can you go into your branch and ask them what's happening? Cos I'm £500 down and all they can say is it's sent. I don't like being accused of messing around - I've paid my bills!
    This isn't a good attitude from either of us any more... :(
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    As a joiner I work with electricians on a fairly regular basis and I have to say in general their "Making good" plasterwork is terrible.Most Electricians just trowel in a load of "Bonding" plaster which sticks proud of the surrounding plaster and expect the homeowner to be able resonably decorate it.
    When I did my City & guilds the "leckies" did a course of making good plastering, anyone know if they still do???
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    cliffski wrote: »
    Never ever ever ever pay in cash, certainly not that sort of money.
    What excatly would you do if he turned around and claiemd he never got the cash?
    ny workmen wanting payment in cash is likely dodging tax and not someone you should deal with.

So that applies to ALL Market traders,Taxi drivers,Bus drivers,Take away food outlets,etc,etc,etc.........Don't tar us all with the same brush,oh and by the way just a word of advice posting un helpful comments like the above when your a "newbie" you may be labelled "unfairly" a TROLL..;)
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Get a statement from the bank, showing the receiving account number, date etc, and pass this over to him. There may have been a mistake somewhere down the line.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, this has descended slightly... he was still nagging while I was en route to my Hogmanay holiday in Edinburgh, so I went into a branch there on 31st December to ask about the money. The cashier confirmed again that the money has been transferred but said that she can't confirm its arrival - the recieving bank would have to do that.

Today, message from electrician:
    To which I replied:
    This isn't a good attitude from either of us any more... :(
    Your bank isn't being very helpful. Surely they have to confirm that they have transferred the money to the correct bank account so you can confirm with the electrician that he has provided you with correct details. The £500 could be sitting in the wrong account.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I read you been more than reasonable you cant do anymore than other going to bank and paying him cash which obviously you dont want too

Given time of year is more than reasonable that things will take a little more time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure