PPI on Mint Loan

Options
Hello

I had a loan which finished in 2006 with Mint. At some point during the loan we realised that we were getting charged PPI and requested that we stopped paying it - they did stop it but said that we were not allowed back anything that we had already paid up to the point it was stopped. Is it possible to now put a claim in for the period when we were paying it?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    babinaba wrote: »
    Hello

I had a loan which finished in 2006 with Mint. At some point during the loan we realised that we were getting charged PPI and requested that we stopped paying it - they did stop it but said that we were not allowed back anything that we had already paid up to the point it was stopped. Is it possible to now put a claim in for the period when we were paying it?

Thanks for any help

Hi and welcome.

Of course you can still reclaim on the PPI with the reasons you have, just because you stopped paying for it, you can still reclaim for what you have paid in ppi and also request for the interest as well.

For more on reclaiming, check out the link below.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    You will find useful info of guidelines of reclaiming, templates to help you through this, they have 8 weeks in full to respond.
    You write to the ones who actually arranged and sold you the finance.
    Post by recorded delivery, this is your proof of posting.

Good luck, please keep us posted and ask for help if required.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • babinaba
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have a copy of the agreement with Mint any more and I can't remember when we stopped paying the PPI - would Mint be able to give me this information? I'm assuming that if they could they would also want me to pay something to obtain it?

Thanks
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have a copy of the agreement with Mint any more and I can't remember when we stopped paying the PPI - would Mint be able to give me this information? I'm assuming that if they could they would also want me to pay something to obtain it?

Thanks

Hi there, and your welcome.

You can actually ask MINT if they would send you a copy, but normally there is a cost of £1 for this by postal order or cheque payment.
    And they should send by 12 days.

However, just as long as you have the account number, that is all you really need to get your reclaim going, if you paid the loan by direct debit out of your bank account and still use the same bank account, track the account number down which should be shown next to the repayments.

If you do not have the statements and bank online, this should allow you to go back as far as 6 years, this is another way to check your old statements.

If you required all details of the loan, another way is a Subject Access Request (SAR), they have 40 days to comply, and info should be enclosed about your loan etc and anything else you have had with them.
    There is a cost of £10 for this payable in cheque or postal order and a SAR template letter with details on this link here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553

Post by recorded delivery as well, this way this is your proof of posting, and you will not get fobbed off by being told they have not received it, as you can check the tracking of the delivery on the royal mail website.;)

The link for reclaiming on my previous post above.

Good luck with this and please keep us posted and ask for help if required.

Di
  • babinaba
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for that. I've managed to find the loan account number from my bank statements and will start with the first step and send them a letter tomorrow from the link you gave. Do I have to give them an actual figure of how much I want back or do they work this out themselves?

On my statement it says is an RBS personal loan but I think from what you wrote earlier, I've got to write to Mint - just wanted to double check that.

I'll keep this updated with how I get on - I don't mind fighting, I remember being rather annoyed at the time when we found out we were paying PPI and when we cancelled got told that we couldn't have what we had already paid back, so I'm more than happy to go all the way. I'm stubborn!! :D

Thanks again
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for that. I've managed to find the loan account number from my bank statements and will start with the first step and send them a letter tomorrow from the link you gave. Do I have to give them an actual figure of how much I want back or do they work this out themselves?

On my statement it says is an RBS personal loan but I think from what you wrote earlier, I've got to write to Mint - just wanted to double check that.

I'll keep this updated with how I get on - I don't mind fighting, I remember being rather annoyed at the time when we found out we were paying PPI and when we cancelled go told that we couldn't have what we had paid back, so I'm more than happy to go all the way. I'm stubborn!! :D

Thanks again

Hi there

your very welcome.;)

No you do not have to write down any figures, they should have all the info and on an offer or if they accept liability your then entitled to ask that they send you a full detailed written breakdown.

Hope this helps and good one, and keep being stubborn lol :D:D;)X
  • babinaba
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks again.

Quick question - do I write to the address for Loans on the Mint website (which is RBS) or do I write to the Mint address that's on the A-Z of banks sticky on this website as they are different.

Thank you!
  • di3004
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks again.

Quick question - do I write to the address for Loans on the Mint website (which is RBS) or do I write to the Mint address that's on the A-Z of banks sticky on this website as they are different.

Thank you!

Hi there

To what I know of it does not matter, as they would still have to pass it on the the main dept who deals with it anyway.;)
    However, do post by recorded delivery, this way you will know when they received this, by checking on the tracking of the Royal mail website.

Good luck.:beer:
  • babinaba
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to give a bit of an update and ask for advice.

I sent Mint the letter to reclaim the PPI at the end of December and I got a confirmation letter back saying they were investigating it. I then received another letter saying that they were still investigating it and would have to take longer than specified in their first letter (8 weeks I think). I've received another letter today basically saying they're still investigating and I'll still have to wait, though if I'm unhappy I can go to the ombudsman.

Are they really investigating it? Or am I just going to keep receiving these letter asking me for more time? Should I go to the ombudsman or leave Mint to it at the moment?

Thanks

bab
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Hi There if when you wrote originally you gave them 8 weeks to reply, which is standard, if it has gone over this then write to them again recorded delivery giving them 1 week to repond otherwise you would go straight to the FOS.

Good Luck
    :mad:
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to give a bit of an update and ask for advice.

I sent Mint the letter to reclaim the PPI at the end of December and I got a confirmation letter back saying they were investigating it. I then received another letter saying that they were still investigating it and would have to take longer than specified in their first letter (8 weeks I think). I've received another letter today basically saying they're still investigating and I'll still have to wait, though if I'm unhappy I can go to the ombudsman.

Are they really investigating it? Or am I just going to keep receiving these letter asking me for more time? Should I go to the ombudsman or leave Mint to it at the moment?

Thanks

bab

Hi bab, thanks for your update.

I understand that they all have backlogs to deal with, but of course it is up to you what you want to do now, your eligible to take your complaint to the FOS as the 8 weeks have truly passed, or discreetly wait that little bit longer, give your own timescale, say if you hear nothing by say for example 14 days as from this letter, then move on to the FOS, but its up to you.

I do hope you hear soon though of a good result on this, fingers crossed for you.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport