We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice please on settlement offer from insurance co

135

Comments

  • Amanda 65, it may be too late now, but have you considered getting the car repaired with parts from breakers and not claiming on the insurance at all.

    For the amount you may get, less excess and increased future premiums due to a claim, it might be better to take it on the chin and fix it yourselves, especially as it's a good example.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 December 2009 at 6:56PM
    xxxxxxxxxx
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I hope to god you never give her driving advice if you think slamming your foot on the brake is a good idea in a skid.

    I think you have misunderstood what I was trying to say :confused: I was merely explaining what had happened and tbh the thread wasn't here to question my driving abilities - but for the record, no I have never advised her to brake in those circumstances
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    eschaton wrote: »
    Truth is that you were robbed when you bought the car.

    Auto Trader adverts mean nothing.

    I sold an 06 Clio Campus Sport last month for £3550, excellent car, 33k miles etc..

    Same cars advertised on AT by dealers for £5000 and I saw one two weeks ago covered in scratchs in a Mazda dealer for £5,295.

    Selling prices and actual paid prices were differ dramatically.

    Maybe we were but not being car experts, just laymen buying a vehicle, we had no option especially as this was the price of all similr cars being sold at the time.

    She would like another Clio and if you or anyone else could give some pointers as to where to llok other than Autotrader I would be really grateful as all searches I type into Google seem to direct me to traders selling in Autotrader :confused:
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Amanda 65, it may be too late now, but have you considered getting the car repaired with parts from breakers and not claiming on the insurance at all.

    For the amount you may get, less excess and increased future premiums due to a claim, it might be better to take it on the chin and fix it yourselves, especially as it's a good example.

    Hi yes it is too late sadly as the insurers got the their car crush people to pick it up last week without even sending an assessor out to view it. And as she hit another car we have to go through the insurance for the third party claim. Thanks for the idea though
  • eschaton wrote: »
    Truth is that you were robbed when you bought the car.

    Auto Trader adverts mean nothing.

    I sold an 06 Clio Campus Sport last month for £3550, excellent car, 33k miles etc..

    Same cars advertised on AT by dealers for £5000 and I saw one two weeks ago covered in scratchs in a Mazda dealer for £5,295.

    Selling prices and actual paid prices were differ dramatically.

    Bit Harsh...

    After a quick look myself, I can see plenty of 06, even 07 Clio's (Trade) with less mileage for between £3800 & £4500.

    Just because there are cars out there that are a lot more expensive than they should be doesn't mean people will pay that.

    Trade sales vs Private (Yours) would probably differ by at least 10% anyway as they have more outgoings.

    What price was your car up for originally as surely the point of your argument was to compare Asking & Selling Price which you don't....:rolleyes:
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    michaelro wrote: »
    Bit Harsh...

    After a quick look myself, I can see plenty of 06, even 07 Clio's (Trade) with less mileage for between £3800 & £4500.

    Just because there are cars out there that are a lot more expensive than they should be doesn't mean people will pay that.

    Trade sales vs Private (Yours) would probably differ by at least 10% anyway as they have more outgoings.

    What price was your car up for originally as surely the point of your argument was to compare Asking & Selling Price which you don't....:rolleyes:


    Originally at £4295, strategically priced.

    Trade sale v Private was 50%, not 10% as you mentioned.
  • eschaton wrote: »
    Originally at £4295, strategically priced.

    Trade sale v Private was 50%, not 10% as you mentioned.

    Overpriced by the look of how much less you ended up selling it for...;)

    50%?? I think you need to try again on the calculator.

    A £5k car would be around 16-17% more than your original asking price, which I think is about right for a trader who has a lot more to risk that you.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    michaelro wrote: »
    Overpriced by the look of how much less you ended up selling it for...;)

    50%?? I think you need to try again on the calculator.

    A £5k car would be around 16-17% more than your original asking price, which I think is about right for a trader who has a lot more to risk that you.


    Why start at the bottom of what you would accept ?

    Surely you aren't that thick ?

    52% retained value after 41 months suggests a good price.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    michaelro wrote: »
    Overpriced by the look of how much less you ended up selling it for...;)

    50%?? I think you need to try again on the calculator.

    A £5k car would be around 16-17% more than your original asking price, which I think is about right for a trader who has a lot more to risk that you.


    £5295 v's £3550 = 49%.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.