We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NCD advice

2»

Comments

  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    justcat wrote: »
    When I was working for a well known car insurance company (this was a couple of years back), the maximum no claims discount you could get was at 5 or 6 years I believe. For this instance, let's say 6. Even if you actually had 10 years NC, if you had an accident it would drop down to 4 because they wouldn't take into account how many years you had, you would just be given the maximum.
    I remember you could actually put in up to 9 years but you only got the discount up to 6 so you wont be missing out on any discount there.
    I always use to think that it was a little unfair that if you had, say, no accidents or claims for 20 years you would drop down to 4 after just one but alas, that was the case.
    I'm pretty sure that is still how it works.
    Crap I know.
    So, if that is the case, why do some posters insurers want more money if they can only prove 6 and no more? Seems insurance companies are just taking advantage to me.
  • justcat
    justcat Posts: 271 Forumite
    rev_henry wrote: »
    So, if that is the case, why do some posters insurers want more money if they can only prove 6 and no more? Seems insurance companies are just taking advantage to me.

    I believe I missed that bit!

    In that case, they may take into account how many years no claims you have in the same way they do with your postcode, age, occupation etc. I do know though that the amount of no claims discount wouldn't matter past 6 years.

    How much more do they want for it?

    To be honest, if you have swapped insurance companies a lot in the past ten years, I would doubt you'd be able to prove it. If anything speak to your old company and find out what information they got from your previous insurer to them.

    Sorry I can't be of much help.
  • All

    I contacted my company again and explained to a different person that I was with more than before, yadda yadda and that I had "max no claims" they said ok sir, 9 years, no problem

    Case closed....

    I have forwarded them my old policy details at least 5 times so I'm sure I will go through this again next time I make contact with them!

    keep all your correspondence from insurer's even if it is 5 years old, this would of helped me!
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    justcat wrote: »
    I believe I missed that bit!

    In that case, they may take into account how many years no claims you have in the same way they do with your postcode, age, occupation etc. I do know though that the amount of no claims discount wouldn't matter past 6 years.

    How much more do they want for it?

    To be honest, if you have swapped insurance companies a lot in the past ten years, I would doubt you'd be able to prove it. If anything speak to your old company and find out what information they got from your previous insurer to them.

    Sorry I can't be of much help.
    No it wasn't me, just other people have said this and I was wondering.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.