PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Saturn's evening meal planner

Options

Comments

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    it was a tin of extra thick caronation cream. i think they were about 60p or 70p each for tiny tin's. but often morrisons have them on offer for 2 for £1.

i made the ice cream once.
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    oh no! i had bought 4 big tins! I think il use two tins then instead of 4
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just been checking the prices of cream.

At Tesco a 283g tin of sterilised cream is 84p, and a 300ml carton of fresh double cream is 88p. The fresh stuff is cheaper and much nicer. You can whip and freeze any you don't use ;)
  • star-X_2
    star-X_2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    For an amazingly cheap meal, my kids loooove, pasta with tinned tomatoes and cheese. My eldest daughter had a project at school where they had to list thier favourite meal, thats what she put down :T . Its quick and easy too which is brill, i do get a bit posh sometimes and use passata lol. I obv have some little moneysavers without them realising lol. Thanks sooo much for this thread, i really need to get my shopping bill down, i currently spend about £100 per week on food at tescos, thats without all the top-up buys during the week!! :mad: I can guarantee i wont be spending that much any more, not after all the great ideas ive seen on here, there is no need atall, thanks again x
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    star-X wrote: »
    For an amazingly cheap meal, my kids loooove, pasta with tinned tomatoes and cheese. My eldest daughter had a project at school where they had to list thier favourite meal, thats what she put down :T . Its quick and easy too which is brill, i do get a bit posh sometimes and use passata lol. I obv have some little moneysavers without them realising lol. Thanks sooo much for this thread, i really need to get my shopping bill down, i currently spend about £100 per week on food at tescos, thats without all the top-up buys during the week!! :mad: I can guarantee i wont be spending that much any more, not after all the great ideas ive seen on here, there is no need atall, thanks again x

This is one of our favourites too. My mum made it for my dad, it was known as macaroni, cheese and tomatoes. My dad's dad was in the RAF in India and that is where my dad was born. He told me the Indian servant made this for them. He was born in what is now Pakistan so the northern part.

The difference with mine is that I use more tomatoes and more cheese. I also use other forms of pasta.

You are the first person ever that has known about it.

This is my menu plan for January. Sorry it's so long.

January 2008 menu plan

9) Mock Goose

10) Frozen Quiche

11) Frittata

12) Pizza – frozen base

13) Workman’s Goose – breast of lamb

14) Frozen Quiche

15) Dhal Curry and bulgar wheat

16) Homity Pie – frozen pastry

17) Frittata

18) Bacon and Pasta Bake

19) Quiche – frozen pastry

20) Toad in the Hole

21) Bean recipe

22) Fish

23) Vege burgers

24) Pizza

25) Mock Goose

26) Mince dish

27) Baked macaroni and cheese

28) Stovies

29) Pasta and garlic with bacon

30) Vegetable hotpot

31) Fish fingers
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    I make bacon pasta.. which is...
    cook pasta shapes in pan till cooked
    in a frying pan cook diced onions, and diced bacon
    when pasta done add the cooked bacon and onion to the pan the pasta was in (drain water of pasta first tho) and mix it all up with tomato sauce

i know it sounds minging but it is delicous! I thought of that whilst experimenting one day and it is gorge!
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • polkadot
    polkadot Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi BS
    Im curious, how do you do you your meal planning?Do you use a software package.My OH bought me a package for my birthday called bigoven (Am I allowed to post the link?) We paid £15 for the deluxe and it's stunning. It akready has thousands of recipes saved but then you can import from any site and create as many recipe boxes as you wish. It has a calander that generates a shopping list and a leftover wizard.It's fantastic. I plan our meals for each week and then I log onto Asda and have the shopping delivered.
  • star-X_2
    star-X_2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    moanymoany, thanks for your reply. Im not sure if we are on about the same meal, i have made macaroni with the toms and cheese but the one they love is literally, boil some pasta, add a tin of tomatoes then top with grated cheese, easy peasy or is it lazy lazy :rolleyes: , they love it to bits tho which is great, your meal plan sounds fantastic, can i ask what mock goose is tho please, thanks x
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    star-X wrote: »
    moanymoany, thanks for your reply. Im not sure if we are on about the same meal, i have made macaroni with the toms and cheese but the one they love is literally, boil some pasta, add a tin of tomatoes then top with grated cheese, easy peasy or is it lazy lazy :rolleyes: , they love it to bits tho which is great, your meal plan sounds fantastic, can i ask what mock goose is tho please, thanks x

Yes star, it is the same dish. It may have been tweaked, layered or whatever, but it is basically cooked pasta, tinned tomatoes straight out of the tin and grated cheese. My mum put it in layers in a dish and baked it for 20 minutes. I usually pop it under the grill as I heat up the tomatoes before. Or, just sprinkle cheese on and eat.

Mock Goose is from the wartime recipe book.

1 and 1/2 lbs potatoes sliced thinly. If the skins are ok I don't peel them.
    2 large cooking apples - or green eating apples - peeled and sliced
    4 ox grated cheese
    half teaspoon dried sage or chopped fresh sage
    3/4 pint of stock
    1 tablespoon of flour

in an ovenproof dish layer the potatoes followed by apples, sage and springle with cheese. Do this leaving potatoes and cheese for the top. Pour into the dish half a pint of stock and cook for 3/4 hour in a moderate oven. Mix the flour with the remaining 1/4 pint of stock and pour into the dish, I move the dish about to spread the thickening. Cook for a further 1/4 hour and serve with a green veg. (that is the wartime instruction)

I tried this because someone gave me loads of cooking apples. I was surprised how nice it is and we have it regularly. This time I used value eating apples which were very good. This is supposed to feed 4, however we 2 eat it all.
  • catherineblack
    Options
    This sounds so tasty - must give a try. Thanks for sharing! :beer:

moanymoany wrote: »
    Yes star, it is the same dish. It may have been tweaked, layered or whatever, but it is basically cooked pasta, tinned tomatoes straight out of the tin and grated cheese. My mum put it in layers in a dish and baked it for 20 minutes. I usually pop it under the grill as I heat up the tomatoes before. Or, just sprinkle cheese on and eat.

Mock Goose is from the wartime recipe book.

1 and 1/2 lbs potatoes sliced thinly. If the skins are ok I don't peel them.
    2 large cooking apples - or green eating apples - peeled and sliced
    4 ox grated cheese
    half teaspoon dried sage or chopped fresh sage
    3/4 pint of stock
    1 tablespoon of flour

in an ovenproof dish layer the potatoes followed by apples, sage and springle with cheese. Do this leaving potatoes and cheese for the top. Pour into the dish half a pint of stock and cook for 3/4 hour in a moderate oven. Mix the flour with the remaining 1/4 pint of stock and pour into the dish, I move the dish about to spread the thickening. Cook for a further 1/4 hour and serve with a green veg. (that is the wartime instruction)

I tried this because someone gave me loads of cooking apples. I was surprised how nice it is and we have it regularly. This time I used value eating apples which were very good. This is supposed to feed 4, however we 2 eat it all.
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure