Great 'Home Made Beauty Tips' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When my eldest sister was pregnant with her first child (some 30 odd years ago) she massaged coconut oil in to her belly every day to prevent stretch marks :)
  • macavity
    macavity Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    vaseline left on overnight is a great face treatment for wrinkles or dry skin, or put it on your face before having a good soak in the bath.

ive used the salt and olive oil scrub as well - brilliant for skin and great for spots but it can sting a bit, so sugar is a good alternative to salt. i just used to put a load of the sugar/salt in a small dish then add just enough olive oil to make it a 'mush'.

as an alternative to olive oil as a hair mask i have used jasmine oil (available cheaply from asian supermarkets, a pound or so for a litre bottle). you can apply it before bed, which is best but use your old pillow cases and a towel, or put it on before a soak in the bath and cover your hair with a shower cap and let it absorb while you relax. then wash and condition as usual.
  • marieltroake
    Options
    Not exactly a home made beauty tip, but did you know that if you buy razors with a moisturising strip, you do not need to use shaving gel?

I think this only applies to female shaving and wouldn't suggest men try this on their face!

I have been shaving my legs and underarms for years without shaving foam, so have saved a lot of money over the years!!!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    You can save even more by not shaving ;)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not exactly a home made beauty tip, but did you know that if you buy razors with a moisturising strip, you do not need to use shaving gel?

I think this only applies to female shaving and wouldn't suggest men try this on their face!

I have been shaving my legs and underarms for years without shaving foam, so have saved a lot of money over the years!!!

Wish it were true for me! If I don't use cream or gel (I actually use my shampoo!!) then I get razor burn! But there is a razor called "intuition" by Wilkinson which doesn't need any cream- just irritating the big block doesn't wear down as fast as the razor loses sharpness.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I used to end up shaving sheets of skin off myself :eek: so I've had an epilady for years now - brilliant (once you get over the initial pain - especially on underarms and upper lip :eek::eek::eek:)
  • speedybee
    Options
    There are loads of things I make myself. One of the easiesy is to make your own liquid hand soap.

50g of grated soap or scraps of old soap
    500ml of boiling water

Mix together until soap has disolved and allow to cool. When it has cooled and thickened add a few drops of your fave essential oil. Tea tree works well if you want it antiseptic.

Put it into a washed pump action dispenser.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Lily-Lu wrote: »
    When my eldest sister was pregnant with her first child (some 30 odd years ago) she massaged coconut oil in to her belly every day to prevent stretch marks :)

After finding out from this website about Coconut oil I simply couldn't live without it now. There is so much you can use it for. Body moisturiser, face cream, night cream, eye cream, hair mask/conditioner, dry end defrizzer, make up remover, handcream, deodrant, mixed with sugar it can be an exfoliater.... and a large tub lasts ages and ages. ;)
  • cheriseg
    Options
    Hi, I think this is my first post but I couldn't resist this thread. This is going to sound gross but please believe me that it works... If you can get kitty litter (yes, that's what I said!) that is made from pure clay and mix it with water to make a mud mask consistency this makes an awesome moisturising, detoxifying mask. About 1:1 ratio.

When I was at uni we used to get this all the time, about 3 quid for a big bag of kitty litter and all the girls would sit around with this on our legs, arms etc etc. I've always wanted to try wrapping up in clingfilm with it on too but never managed to take it that far.

Recently I discovered that it's also AMAZING on your skin (if you can get over the 'ick' factor), especially for those with large pores and oily skin -this will make those pores microscopic. You can mix it with just water or half and half water and cider vinegar.

Trust me this is awesome and really really works. However, you must be careful of two things - 1. Must be PURE clay litter, nothing else added, and 2. NO perfumes or anything in the litter (although you could add a few drops of your fave essential oils if you like, I'm reliving the uni days at the moment with a touch of patchouli).

Enjoy, Cherise
  • debidoodle
    debidoodle Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    Options
    Vitamin E capsule's apply 1 on your face as an overnight treatment, lovely soft & plump skin the next morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure