Leaving work to become a carer?

Options
Right any help would be greatful as I am in a dilema...

I live with my wife and my son who is 9 years old, we currently rent a property and have no mortgage.

I am in full time employment £1244mth after tax. My wife is disabled and receives the higher rate mobility and care component.

Over the last 2 years in my employment I have been off with stress and anxiety twice for a period of 6mths on each occasion. This has been triggered as I am trying to care for my wife, look after my son as well as working 43 hours a week. I work in a targeted environment which is extrememly excessive at the best of times. When my wife or my son becomes ill I have to try to take time off work which isnt always easy and usually leaves me with a warning.

To cut a long story short, I have been off sick myself recently and pressure has come through from work in the form of a letter which is quite threatening. I am feeling very stressed again and basically I have had enough of being intimidated back to work with no understanding of our situation.

I guess I am asking if I obtain a medical certificate to state that this is destroying my health and then concentrate of looking after my wife full time would I be financially ok? We rent at the moment and do not have a mortgage. I am worried that giving up my job will make matters worse financially but on the other hand I am worried about my wife and my health.

Would I be able to talk to work and make myself redundant by handing in my notice. I have gone down the union route yet again but frankly I have had enough and need to care full time for my wife.

Any ideas on what our entitlements could be or any tips on leaving work to help a disabled person?

Sorry to sound a bit vague but I really have no idea where to start and the more I am moaning about life the more I am getting totally stressed about it all. I have worked all my life an never considered this route but situations have got alot worse.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Keith585
    Keith585 Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was in a similar position to you and gave up work, I feel so much better, but my financial position is different to you.

I suggest you start here to see what benefits you would get in addition to carers allowance (£57pw:mad:)

:xmassign:
    Life is not all about money - we just believe so :hello:
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Carer's Allowance is £53.10 a week, not £57.
  • madhouse
    Options
    I was told by my credit card company that if you leave work to be a carer you can claim on your income protection insurance, so if you have this it is worth asking.
  • elaina79
    elaina79 Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    You would get carers allowance and could also claim income support as a result of being a carer. You would also be entitled to LHA and council tax benefit. You tax credits for your child will go up to the high rate if you no longer worked. Wish you all the best.
    I used to suffer from lack of motivation.... now I just can't be arsed.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 1141 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
  • ady_j
    ady_j Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elaina79 wrote: »
    You would get carers allowance and could also claim income support as a result of being a carer. You would also be entitled to LHA and council tax benefit. You tax credits for your child will go up to the high rate if you no longer worked. Wish you all the best.

Concur with the above.

In a similar situation myself, IIRC when you fill out your CA form, you can also claim for having a dependant partner (seems obvious when you've stated all the way through the form that you're caring for your partner) and that triggers an additional payment of about £30 per week.

Every little bit helps
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had to give up work to care for my wife. Everyone kept telling me it was a bad thing todo but its worked out OK. Initially sorting out what your are entitled to is a nightmare. Speak to CAB they should be able to help advise but its a minefield and even our CAB benifits consultant didn;t know it all. As much as caring is still hard work leaving work has enabled my health to improve

This forum you might find helpful there are some people on there who know possible carers benefits inside and out

http://www.chill4us.com/news/index.php
  • Homemade_2
    Homemade_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    You wont nesessarily get Income Support because it depends if your wife already claims it, which she may well do. If she does, she will then lose part of her Income Support when you claim CA.
    If she doesnt claim IS then you can claim CA at £53 a week thereabouts. Not so much and not worth giving your job up for.....even if you do get a bit of Income Support.
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    Luker wrote: »
    Over the last 2 years in my employment I have been off with stress and anxiety twice for a period of 6mths on each occasion. This has been triggered as I am trying to care for my wife, look after my son as well as working 43 hours a week. I work in a targeted environment which is extrememly excessive at the best of times. When my wife or my son becomes ill I have to try to take time off work which isnt always easy and usually leaves me with a warning.

To cut a long story short, I have been off sick myself recently and pressure has come through from work in the form of a letter which is quite threatening. I am feeling very stressed again and basically I have had enough of being intimidated back to work with no understanding of our situation.

I do feel for you but from what you have put I think you have been unfair on your company, most companies would have got rid of you after the second 6 month period on the sick(through the right channels) and I am guessing you will have been paid some full pay during this period and if not at least SSP so effectively you have cost the company 2 years pay for 1 years work.

Obviously do what you have to but please realise that a business is just that and has to look after its own interest, understanding can only go so far
    Always ask ACAS
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 11 January 2010 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Companies that 'get rid of' anyone who is a carer, espeically if that person themselves is suffering from trying to balance everything, could find themselves at the losing end of a claim against them under disability discrimation laws.

If the OP wishes to continue to work and has carer responsibilities he does have certain rights and the company has certain responsibilities towards him.

I was in this position and was able to renegotiate my hours and cut them - and this was without waving any legislation at them.

As anyone who is a full time carer will know - it is hard work and is not financially rewarding. Going to work - even part time - gives the carer a break from caring and an outside life.

http://www.carersuk.org/Home has lots of useful info.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2007/10/29/42998/carers-rights-legal-q.html
  • jdturk
    jdturk Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Options
    yes but at the end of the day if the person cannot meet the job requirements the business can get rid of them. However I would advocate what Deleted_User did and maybe try to come to another arrangement such as part time etc

And as long as they do things correct they will find themselves on the winning side of a claim from a disability discrimination claim
    Always ask ACAS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport