We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pensions Planning: The NUMBER

1…212213215217218…298

Comments

  • HeyYeah
    HeyYeah Posts: 76
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    /+-+-#/7-westv said:
    westv said:
    I wouldn't have said spending a lot of money on things makes you middle class. 
    No, nor did I, only that spending a lot of money is what I have observed middle class people doing.  The discussion is about stereotypes of course, and many middle class people won't live that way.
    I think the difference is dinner and lunch.  :D
    I work in a big company, and last week explained to my young Swiss colleague why sometimes I say 'dinner' rather than 'lunch'. He was very surprised and asked 'but why do you say it wrong?', so I had to explain that it's not the Northerners but the Southerners who are incorrect.... So I politely disagree, I think lunch/dinner is more of a regional thing...

    But getting back on point, I'm still not sure what my number is, but I know I'm not there yet!
  • SouthCoastBoy
    SouthCoastBoy Posts: 1,183
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2022 at 4:00PM
    I'm definitely a lunch and tea person, not sure what that makes me
    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think the term working class is ironic - as I'd be considered middle class I reckon - but still have to work for my living so where's the logic... I have working class roots - but then most of us have...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To be fair the amount of money a person has has little to with class. The traditional classes seem to become blurred since the early1980s.
     My number is min21k, hope for25k
  • Kim1965
    Kim1965 Posts: 550
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Should add. 
    Semi retire in 2 yrs (60).
    DB 8K, PT work15k ish
    Fully retire67 9.6 ksp, 8k db 8k sustainable drawdown. 
     Leave the kids a house (400k) and around 250k dc. 

  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    westv said:
    I wouldn't have said spending a lot of money on things makes you middle class. 
    No, nor did I, only that spending a lot of money is what I have observed middle class people doing.  The discussion is about stereotypes of course, and many middle class people won't live that way.
    Those who spend and show off their possessions are probably more obvious. 
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think the term working class is ironic - as I'd be considered middle class I reckon - but still have to work for my living so where's the logic... I have working class roots - but then most of us have...
    One definition is
    Working class - work with their bodies (physical labour)
    Middle class - work with their minds 
    Upper class - do what they please
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,389
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ooh I am upper class.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,662
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Terron said:
    I think the term working class is ironic - as I'd be considered middle class I reckon - but still have to work for my living so where's the logic... I have working class roots - but then most of us have...
    One definition is
    Working class - work with their bodies (physical labour)
    Middle class - work with their minds 
    Upper class - do what they please
    What about upper middle class and lower middle class?  :D
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.