Pensions Planning: The NUMBER

Options

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Terron wrote: »
    My teeth were wearing faster than normal. I can understand the NHS dentists not doing something about it, but it would have been nice to have been informed that something could be done so that I could have investigated doing it earlier.

it may not relate to you but what usually happens is that once somthing is mentiond as a possible treatment option he next step for the dentist is to have to explain why you dont offer it on NHS . With the contract saying that "all necessary for securing dental health " treatment has to be provided you can imagine it would be hard. Can you imagine the situation where let's say builders had to build a hoise sufficient for eac oersn's needs for a fixed sum ? Can you imagine mayhem of different opinions, interpretation, nightmare to chose the surface and design and standards ?
    DairyQueen, yes the picture you paint is familiar - that is why I agreed NHS dentistry was a joke.
    Just a few details that you may have missed or seen from different perspective:
    - in gum issues the most important thing is home care. all those pesky tepe brushes etc. So at the end of the day your teeth suffered because of lack of it in the past. Not because the dentist did not explain you how important it was .
    - if your NHS dentists were to give you the standard of care you got when you p aid your money they would have gone broke. Long time ago. Hence they would not have existed .
    - precisely because of this amoral system dentists are trting to escape it whichever way they can- emigrating, retiring early , going into salaried services. You would say " why dont they open private practices then" - well , to open a practice means taking a lian a few hundreed thousand pounds, being lumbered with unbelievable amount of paperwork, gavimg to employ people and dedicate all the time one has spare in one's life to it.
    I do not condone dentists who ignore massive issues . Just trying to exolain rhe background - if one does not have the scope of work well defined and the better job one does the less money one earns the result is predictable whatever profession or trade we talking about.
    And yes I agree with purely private dentists being a more sound bet on average than mixing ones. Public needs more oeoole like you telling them to go and pay for their teeth as culturally people got conditioned they should not so they end up losing out because of ignorance and beligerant attitude " i should get it on NHS "!

I shall shut up on a topic of dentistry now and make a promise not talk about it in this thread anymore.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    I have seen the seniors in my family (none of whom are wealthy) fork-out for: glasses that cost extra for thin lenses,

Some of us have had to do that for decades :( I have one eye that is very bad - beyond the range of cheap lenses. Becausee it needs sucha strong lens I need extra light lenses to stop preasure on my nose being too much. So new pairs of glasses cost me around £400.
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 14 January 2018 at 1:43PM
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    Congrats for doing so much planning whilst so young. Couple of things about your number:

1) - - -your figure for continuing to see/hear/eat/walk :) may be a tad optimistic, especially if that includes 20+ years inflation at 3% compounded. Medical gizmos that you never dreamed you would need hit the expenses list. - - - True - although my teeth are doing ok at the moment, I see my dentist regularly. Same with opticians - I've based the figure on renewing lenses every two years or so. Good point about gizmos - e.g. mobility scooter...need to look into this.

2) That energy cost looks very low. I am expecting energy costs to rise more than inflation to fund investment in green energy, if no other reason. Also, heating costs are one of the things that will definitely rise significantly from the year that you retire.
    :)I did actually think about that too and maybe need to put that up to £100pm. I currently spend £35pm for both gas and electricity and that balances over the year taking winter months into account. I also have LED bulbs pretty much everywhere and have topped up the insulation in the loft.

3) No allowance for water? Included in council tax here in Scotland. Or TV licence? At the moment I don't watch TV, may have to add that into the figure though. What about replacing things like white goods, household appliances, TV, phone? I've included that in the DIY section. I'm not big into gadgets and when replacing anything look for deals that have good manufacturer's guarantee (not paying extra for added cover however), my current phone cost £50 second hand and am not planning on replacing it before it breaks. My current TV is a dumb TV (I watch a lot of DVDs - all either bought second hand or I get as presents) and got it for free from someone who didn't need it anymore. In general I do maintain my appliances and they last for long. Although what it comes to energy ratings I know this may be false economy. (My washing machine is about 15yrs old, dishwasher about 10yrs old - I have already repaired it couple of times. Coffee machine is over 20yrs old and still going strong.) And the cost of calling in the plumber if a pipe bursts or the loo springs a leak? My insurance covers this at the moment and if the loo leaks, I can fix it myself. Clothes? I charity shop most except for shoes, socks and underwear, and don't really spend that much in that front. Pets? (current/future). No pets and unlikely to get one in the future. Then there are the other discretionary things: gifts/Christmas/holidays? Gifts/Xmas is minimal, maybe £150 over the year including Xmas food that I make from scratch. Holidays maybe £500 per year. Have included these in entertainment as I can do without. And the miscellaneous other bits/bobs: plants for the garden? Maybe few bulbs here and there, but garden is pretty much established. Christmas tree? Have a plastic one :) Logs for a woodburner? No woodburner :)Extra food for visitors? Hobbies? Costs of volunteering (there are some)? Printer supplies? I have a laser printer and the cartridge lasts for about 4 years, and costs only about £35. Obviously may have to replace it at some point, but it's been doing fine for the past 10 years. :D And TBH I don't really print out too many things. Indulging/helping children/grandchildren? No kids and there won't be. :rotfl:A miscellaneous category gives you a bit of extra wriggle-room.

4) I would split the food from the travel and entertainment as the first isn't discretionary and it looks like the second will change when you retire. The third is definitely discretionary. I agree, I should split it into subcategories...will have a look at some point.

When I did my analysis I separated current discretionary spends from non-discretionary. Removed everything that I wouldn't need (travel costs for work) and then applied the same 3% inflation as you to the total non-discretionary amount up to my desired retirement age. That was the figure that I aimed to achieve in guaranteed income so that all basic expenses were covered. Agree with this, will need to do a proper split between "must haves" and "would be nice"

I then worked out three figures for discretionary spends: a) need to stay sane, LOL b) nice to have, c) wahey life is a party. Double LOL The first of these is the minimum you need to be able to drawdown in additional savings (ISAs/SIPPs/whatever). Inflation-proofed, of course. The first part is already covered in what I have in DB pensions, so working towards the b and c.

There is also the unexpected, unlucky cost that may hit. In my case it was fighting a planning application. That was very, very costly but necessary to preserve my quality of life without having to move. If you want to have all your bases covered then you need a chunk of cash sufficient to fund such things. A car is also not a discretionary item if you live (as I do) in a rural area. Or plan to do so.
    I have a 3-bed and there is just me. (It's also my backup plan - if something happens, I can let out one of the bedrooms to get bit of extra income.) I live within walking distance of all services, so thankfully sorted in that front. Or like you mentioned above, may be cruising around in a mobility scooter when I'm older.

Good luck with it.
    Thank you :) ps. I think I'm lucky in that my parents have always been big in "make do and mend" and taught me how to do the same - so I know how to use a sewing machine and can do a lot of the DIY stuff myself.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks like you've got it pretty much covered. As you have a 3-bedder then you can always use the house - equity release/downsize - if push-comes- to-shove. Also, the house is a handy source of care fees if you outlive the mobility scooter and stairlift .

The house is our Plan B too.

Like you I come from a mend-and-make-do clan so I have a lot of the domestic stuff covered. I make sauces, jams and chutneys, bread and cakes. A big freezer is really useful to store all the food I buy on special offer. (I can also use a sewing machine). OH somehow missed-out on his dad's DIY lessons and I draw the line at plumbing. Decorating? Yes. Plumbing? No. OH plans that his pension will cover all the jobs that he will have to pay others to do. My plan is a few courses at the local college. He will need a few hobbies when he retires ;)
  • rebuswad
    rebuswad Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 January 2018 at 3:07PM
    Options
    Early days for me but opinions on my strategy are appreciated, the pipe dream is to retire at 50, so want more in savings and less in pensions. Do the numbers seem broadly realistic, I’m new to long term financial planning ?

I’m 43 and the number we’d like to retire on is about 30K net/35K gross. My number is a good bit lower (about 24K net) but left a large margin for error.

With aggressive saving we hope to have about £300K in ISA’s at 50, and about £220K in private pension pots.

I have a DB pension of £15K due at 60, and my wife has a DB of £7K at the same age, and also a £5K at SPA.

So with a proposed early retirement at 50 the bigger challenge is to get to 60 when the DB’s kick in and need a smaller subsidy.

So plan is:

- 50-57 the £300K in ISA’s should give £30K net with maybe 100K left allowing for a 3% rise in capital pa.

- 58-59 £220K in PP at 50 should be £270K again assuming 3% rises. Take £35K gross income for 2 years, probably the tax free lump sump actually. I’ve assumed the age that access of PP funds is allowed will rise to 58 from 55 by this time.

- 60-67 DB’s of 22K, subsidised with 13KPP via income drawdown. The pot should be £200Kish. Should also have the £100Kish of ISA’s left.

- 68+ extra DB of 5K start, so PP subsidy reduces to 8K, eventually to taper down in elderly years.

edit - I've not included State Pensions taking the worst case scenario of them being means tested by then.

Feels odd not putting more in pension pots, but I do not want to risk the government restricting access to the bulk of my money, and being forced to work longer.

All if’s buts and maybes, but the strategy has to start somewhere. Opinions and criticism welcome.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Rebuswad - WOW - I am same age as you and would like to retire around 60. What do you intend doing with you days retiring at 50? I think the days would be too long and just merge into week without purpose. Yes for a short time it would be wonderful but even at 60 I wonder if I would need even a part-time voluntary job to keep me alert and motivated.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Retiring "too early" can have problems. (we went at 59 / 58).

MOH loves all her post work free time and has lots of interests. I on the other hand actually miss a "purpose", and while I would not want to go back to my old job as this was becoming ever more stressful I do find filling the hours a bit of a problem.

I have managed to get a part time job (no stress) which helps and does give a "focus" to the week. I think the problem is that if you are likely to "get bored", then the temptation is to find things to do that cost you more money than you actually planned for in your "number".

Our planned number for retirement is about £30k which is £6k up on what we actually spent while we
    were both in work. ie you have (a lot) more time to spend it.....
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • rebuswad
    rebuswad Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bobs -Yeah, we are very lucky to be even thinking about it. Both my wife and I have had serious ill health the past year. We are both OK now (touches wood) but it makes you appreciate your time. I'd now take a modest income with freedom sooner rather than work an extra 10 years and be rich and old.

No problem filling the days, walking, spending time with friends, would probably do voluntary work, and maybe P/T work too. I think having the freedom would give a different mindset though.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doing a part time job would appeal to me come "the time" although I'm not quite sure what I would do. Shop work/dealing with the public has no appeal for me and I don't think my current skills can assist in any freelancing/consultancy work.
  • tony4147
    tony4147 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A part time job appeals to me, I always think how something like B&Q would be quite good, but for years I've chased the money and I would need to change my mindset (easier said than done) as if I was working a B&Q I would be thinking what I would earn in working 2 or 3 days I could probably earn in half a day doing what I'm doing now, obviously stress levels would be completely different and I would like to remove the stress.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback