Petrol ..................... £85
    Money for daily exp..... £500
    water......................... £38
    pet insurance & vet plan .... £145
    contact lenses & aftercare.......£16

Total exp per month = £1322
    Total exp per year = £15864
    SP £155 x 2 x 52 = £16120
    I don't think you have missed anything major - I think you must just live in a cheaper part of the country than me (in a cheaper house and with less cars) with no expensive pets ;) My equivalents are in red next to yours
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mally, shop around for your house insurances..that seems a lot
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    Ive tried to do a rough budget of what money we will need to keep us going based on our current lifestyle and it doesnt look too bad ..... which makes me think I have missed something major !!

Monthly Outgoings
    Mortgage ................ £0
    TV Licence .................. £12
    House & Contents Ins... £15
    Car Insurance ..............£25
    Car Tax ...................... £25
    Car MOT/Upkeep ..........£40
    Electric ..................... £50
    Phone & BB .............. £40
    Rates ....................... £80
    Mobiles .................... £30
    Groceries, toiletries etc £260
    Christmas / Birthdays £80
    Oil for heating ............ £80
    Petrol ..................... £85
    Money for daily exp..... £500

Total exp per month = £1322
    Total exp per year = £15864
    SP £155 x 2 x 52 = £16120

Have a bit of leeway here, then add on hopefully a decent amount of ISA savings (hopefully £150k) for repairs, emergencies, car upgrades etc., then group together the various pensions we have between us and all in all doesnt look too bad.
    We plan to hopefully not work right up to age 68 and will have a pot put aside to save a few years worth of spending before SP kicks in.

Does this match the total averaged over a year you are actually spending now apart from things that definitely wont apply when you are retired? I strongly recommend that you keep track of your actual spending and use that as a basis for retirement planning, there are always costs that you wouldnt have included in a budget. You will have got used to a particular standard of living over many years and may not be happy cutting back for the final 1/4-1/3 of your life.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,637 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    Mally, shop around for your house insurances..that seems a lot

not for unlimited buildings and contents on a £1m house. It is a bargain
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I don't think you have missed anything major - I think you must just live in a cheaper part of the country than me (in a cheaper house and with less cars) with no expensive pets ;) My equivalents are in red next to yours

Mally, i think you have mixed up monthly and yearly figures. Unless you really spend
    £1300 on car insurance
    £1300 on car tax
    £600 on house insurance

• westv
    westv Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Mally, i think you have mixed up monthly and yearly figures. Unless you really spend
    £1300 on car insurance
    £1300 on car tax
    £600 on house insurance

Perhaps they have multiple cars.
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    I am afraid I do. 2 cars (£515 car tax each) and a van (£240 tax). Multicar policy £1100, van another £300 so I have under quoted there. House insurance really is that much (rebuild £450k at last quote so went for unlimited, contents in excess of £70k so ditto).
    Expensive lifestyle that I am planning on continuing (on the whole) once I retire in 10 years.
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 868 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I have 2 cars, annual tax £30 lol
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    Maybe we'll go more 'eco' when we are older but at the moment we need big cars for big dogs and a teenager.

It just demonstrates why it is important to work out your own 'Number' and not just use what other people are saying.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I am afraid I do. 2 cars (£515 car tax each) and a van (£240 tax). Multicar policy £1100, van another £300 so I have under quoted there. House insurance really is that much (rebuild £450k at last quote so went for unlimited, contents in excess of £70k so ditto).
    Expensive lifestyle that I am planning on continuing (on the whole) once I retire in 10 years.

Fair enough but misleading to imply the posters numbers are in question on the basis of that?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback