Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Hospital transport costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
7 replies 1.1K views
jon2432jon2432 Forumite
177 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
We have "adopted" an 80 yr old, partially sighted granny. Where is the best place to check on her eligibility for benefits etc. We are especially looking for hospital transport fees.

regards

Replies

• edited 12 December 2009 at 9:54PM
    bryanbbryanb Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    edited 12 December 2009 at 9:54PM
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk for benefits. Some areas have "Hospital cars" driven by volunteers, check with the hospital or local council etc.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done for caring for your "adopted" granny!

Age Concern have advisors who will help. They have a broad, overall viewpoint and will look at all needs, not just benefits, eg she may enjoy going out to an Age Concern day centre or join a lunch club.

You could get as assessment done as a carer. Contact Social Services.

If there are no close relatives, see if she wants to list you at her GPs and the hospital as the people to contact if she has problems.
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the lady had genuine mobility problems her GP can authorise Hospital Transport for her, either a car or an ambulance which ever is more appropriate.. but it is difficult to get as they only have a small budget for this and will try to put people off if they can. There is also a lot of waiting around as obviously they have to run journeys with full vehicles if possible..
    If that is not possible then she may be able to claim travelling expenses back from the hospital
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Aw bless - you've adopted a granny! That's so sweet of you. I'm sure she's very grateful... hope you manage to get her sorted!
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bryanb wrote: »
    Some areas have "Hospital cars" driven by volunteers, check with the hospital or local council etc.
    Some areas have volunteer car services which don't just do hospital trips! They're an absolute lifeline for my mum - she's very deaf and struggles with taxis because if she asks to go to a particular place she can't always hear what the driver is saying ("Sorry luv, don't go sarf of the river at this time of night")

With the volunteer car service, she can email a week ahead to ask for a particular journey, and they reply after a couple of days confirming who the driver is. The driver knows where she's going, and how long she'll be if they are bringing her back.

Cheaper than a taxi too ... I should stress this isn't a free service, and the hospital run one might not be either.

The hospital transport mentioned by tanith would be free, but does have all the disadvantages she mentioned. Dad would sometimes use that, and it could mean being picked up very early in the morning, driven all round the countryside filling the vehicle, then waiting around at the hospital to be brought back, followed by another trip round the countryside. Very tiring and not always comfortable.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • hopefulshell07hopefulshell07 Forumite
    180 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Just some quick info on Hospital Transport, most hospitals offer Transport and it is free but the patient does need to have a medical need to have transport offered and normally you have to be ready and waiting for 2 hours before your appointment time and can wait for a couple of hours after before being brought home, saying that they do a wonderful job and it is the Ambulance service who do the Transporting. Your GP can arrange it in the first instance then ask when you go in to see whoever for your transport to make sure it is put down for your next visit if needed. Hope this helps
    Happy New Year All
This discussion has been closed.