We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Police Stops - Festive Drink Drive Campaign

245678

Comments

  • And as you well know following a moving traffic offence or RTC the officer still requires a suspicion of alcohol to arrest for a refusal.;)

    I do. However, thats not what we're talking about. The threads entitled "Festive drink drive campain".
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,652 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    takes less than a minute, saves lives, well worth it

    also if you dont have nothing to hide then why not stop,
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Leebobs wrote: »
    My concern is based on more libertarian principles ....
    the social benefit of these stops (IE: it takes very little time and has the possibility to deter drink driving or catch those who are doing it) could be strong enough to mean that there should probably be a change in the law in this area to allow such random checks (like in Australia).
    I find these two comments rather conflicting.

    Why would a police officer having the power to BT someone (ex after an RTA, moving traffic offence) they didn't believe to have been drinking alcohol be libertarian? Surely, it would simply waste the officers time who could be breathalysing motorists s/he believed had been drinking. And, of course, it would further delay and inconvenience an innocent citizen.

    As stated the stops can lawfully be random, requiring the BT should be targetted at those suspected of drinking. It's not hard for a stone cold sober person (assume an officer on this type of stop would be!) to detect the smell of alcoholic beverage and other signs.
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Ian_W wrote: »

    I must admit I feel a tad sorry for those very marginally over the limit the morning after, after all no-one knows their individual metabolism for alcohol. However I'm not a close relative ... well, you get my drift!

    Me too.

    Bring on the random stop checks but in reality millions of us will get in our cars the morning after a few drinks with thousands still over the limit.

    The limit has to be low in order to be effective, but at the same time it would be all too easy to get done for drink driving despite being completely sober.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2009 at 7:44AM
    Most will approve and define them as anywhere within their force area. So yes the PC's can do them when and where they feel.

    True, but there will be some strategy through the rank structure. Health and safety....use of resources etc. Not just random ideas based on a whim,

    Anyway drink drivers are a menace and need to be taken off the road.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • This initial power to pull you in is to view your driving license or you are committing an offense ie a light out. A police constable in uniform may at any time require to check the validity of the driving licence of a person driving or seen driving a vehicle. Once they have stopped you and spoken to you they must then either suspect you of committing a motoring offense, of being in a accident or suspect you of drinking. The usual powers they use are the first ie: a light out and the last power either you smell or act like you have been drinking or when they ask "have you had a drink" you answer just the one. It is also not necessary for them to use a breathalyzer on you. If they suspect you are under the influence of drink or drugs they can arrest you straight off. This is not usually used as under this power a doctor is needed back at the cells to give his opinion if you are unfit to drive under drink or drugs(again no tests just an opinion)

    as an ex special constable who has seen many times the effects of drink drivers I think this is a very worthwhile operation. I know it can be annoying if you've done nothing wrong and you want to get home. But the roads are being made safer for you and your families. Surely this is worth 5 mins of your time
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Maybe the mere fact that its Christmastime and you are driving a car is enough to suspect drink driving under this hazily defined 'suspicion' clause? Makes sense to me. If they stopped me and I wasn't in a hurry I'd probably just be fascinated by blowing into a machine with flashing lights on it. I'm easily amused I know. :D
  • I've been stopped a few times over the years at these festive stops. I never drink when driving so when asked if I've had a drink I could always answer no. I've found the police have always accepted this and I've never been breathalised so in my experience the police seem to have always operated within the rules.

    No big deal if you ask me.
  • DaveMacD
    DaveMacD Posts: 575 Forumite
    Got to be honest, I've never been stopped at one of these things. Have been stopped twice for 'travel surveys'. The Police pull you over and then some busybody interrogates you about where you've been and where you are going. Didn't seem too impressed when I told them it was none of their damn business.
    Fight Crime : Shoot Back.

    It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.

    Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    DaveMacD wrote: »
    Got to be honest, I've never been stopped at one of these things. Have been stopped twice for 'travel surveys'. The Police pull you over and then some busybody interrogates you about where you've been and where you are going. Didn't seem too impressed when I told them it was none of their damn business.
    That does always seem bizarre to me. Though I thought about signing up to become one of the aforesaid busybodies; the money isn't bad. :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.