Aaaaarrrrrrggggggg!!!!!!!!!!

Options
My washing machine that I bought in November last year has, quite literally, gone up in smoke on Friday night. It was lucky I was standing next to it and got my OH to see to it before the flames took hold and destroyed the kitchen!
It had a 1 yr manufactures guarantee which is now expired. I'm so annoyed, I would expect a washer to last longer than 13months!!! I thought I maight have a claim under the SOGA but I understand I need to go through the retailer for this and the retailer has gone bust!!!!

I had just about accepted that I'd need to bit the bullet and buy a new one when something else has gone wrong and sent me over the edge into full rant mode!!!!!

One of my double glazed windows that I got fitted in 12/07 has got condensation between the panes meaning the unit has failed. No problem, I thought digging out my 10 year guarantee. I phoned the company and got a dead line. A quick google tells me the company has gone out of business too!!!!

So I've got a knackered washing machine and double glazing, both under 2 years old. I'll need to foot the bill for both!!!! Does no-one make things to last anymore??????!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

Rant Rant Rant! And breathe

Comments

• Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Ouch. Painful.

Though if you paid for either on your credit card, you may be able to claim from the card company
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • tamarto
    tamarto Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    You can go straight to the manufacturors, you are entitled to go through the company if you wish but there is nothing stopping you contacting them yourself.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked with your house insurance to see if your washing machine is covered? If it went on fire it may be covered.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    tamarto wrote: »
    You can go straight to the manufacturors, you are entitled to go through the company if you wish but there is nothing stopping you contacting them yourself.

You can but their is no obligation on the part of the manufacturer to talk to you. Contract is with retailer, grounds for SOGA claim are only with the retailer.

As Esqui said, if you purchased on credit (card or agreement), you can file a Section 75 claim under the consumer credit act. I doubt there would be much resistance given that it is only 13mth old - it would be more than reasonable to expect it to last substantially longer and without setting fire in the kitchen.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    With the Windows it might be the guarantee is with the manufacturer rather than the retailer if they are seperate

With the washing machine I would suggest if it was actually on fire and did damage there would be a good chance the manufacturer would help out - saying that I suspect you are overexaggerating the damage.
  • tenmah
    tenmah Posts: 2,209 Forumite
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    With the Windows it might be the guarantee is with the manufacturer rather than the retailer if they are seperate

With the washing machine I would suggest if it was actually on fire and did damage there would be a good chance the manufacturer would help out - saying that I suspect you are overexaggerating the damage.

Mmm have you never seen how quickly fire takes hold and destroys things? If the OP had not been in the room, who knows what might have happened, so no they are not exaggerating.
    OD [STRIKE] £2600 [/STRIKE] £0 :j Loan [STRIKE]£9500.00[/STRIKE] £0 :j Car [STRIKE]£3150[/STRIKE] £0 :j Moving Costs [STRIKE]£1300[/STRIKE] £0 :j Savings £1150 :j

Everytime I hear the 'dirty' word Exercise, I wash my mouth out with chocolate!
  • Anihilator
    Options
    tenmah wrote: »
    Mmm have you never seen how quickly fire takes hold and destroys things? If the OP had not been in the room, who knows what might have happened, so no they are not exaggerating.

Thats my point.

If it was actually on fire I'd expect her to be more concerned with an insurance claim at the moment than the actual machine.
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Thats my point.

If it was actually on fire I'd expect her to be more concerned with an insurance claim at the moment than the actual machine.

"It was lucky I was standing next to it and got my OH to see to it before the flames took hold and destroyed the kitchen!"

Emphasis on before.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • Anihilator
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    "It was lucky I was standing next to it and got my OH to see to it before the flames took hold and destroyed the kitchen!"

Emphasis on before.

Sorry but if there had been any sort of flames I would expect there to be damage or an insurance claim in process.

Unless it was a few sparks or smoke :rolleyes:

Maybe the OP could confirm whether this fire did any damage at all or required fire brigade involvement?
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    She didn't say there were flames, she said it was smoke - and it was sorted before it went up in flames. So no, no flames, or that it needed the fire brigade. You are the one exaggerating.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure